• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking for a good 5-speed to run

footee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I need a better tranny. That sums it up. This junk mitsu tranny just plain sucks. I guess I can't bolt any other t-cases up to it. The truck is mainly an off-road play toy and I'd like to get a better t-case setup someday. My clutch is getting ready to go and I don't want to spend the money on a clutch for a tranny that I don't plan on keeping in it. I don't really have the money right now to spend on it being as how I need to get the rearend problem figured out first, so the cheaper the better. T-case wise, I'm just looking to twin or tri-stick one to control the front and rear independently and so forth and so on. Anyone got any opinions?

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Well the M5OD is a great tranny when kept maintained... But that will offer nothing to a twin stick t-case unless you make an adapter.

footee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You know what, I'm an idiot and had them backwards. I have the Mazda tranny, M50D. My buddy has the Mitsu that advance does make adaptors for. They don't make them for the M50D. The M50D also has that fixed bell housing instead of the seperate tranny and housing. Sooo, what's better than the M50D?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the M5OD is by far the most reliable tranny used in any RBV...so changing to any other RBV case is going to be a downgrade in durability (even if it gives you the option for a better t-case). i thought atlas made a twin stick for rangers?

the only real advantage to a twin stick is the fact that you can disengage the rear driveline in the event of drive shaft failure. aside from that, you can do pretty much everything with a manual t-case and hubs that you can with a twin stick (eg. use low range in 2wd...such as on high traction surfaces like pavement).

footee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
the M5OD is by far the most reliable tranny used in any RBV...so changing to any other RBV case is going to be a downgrade in durability (even if it gives you the option for a better t-case). i thought atlas made a twin stick for rangers?

the only real advantage to a twin stick is the fact that you can disengage the rear driveline in the event of drive shaft failure. aside from that, you can do pretty much everything with a manual t-case and hubs that you can with a twin stick (eg. use low range in 2wd...such as on high traction surfaces like pavement).
To my knowledge, atlas makes a case for rangers, just no adaptor for the m50d. As for your comment on twin sticking, you have a point, unlock the hubs and you have 2-lo. However, The stick is not the only thing I'm looking to achieve. I'd like to get a lower crawl ratio through the case. I have 4.56 gears but Id like more crawl without sacrificing axles and gears. Also, reading in the tech library, It says of things going wrong with the m50d. None of the others really say much about thing going wrong. Well, if sticking with that is my best bet, so be it. It would definitely be cheaper than trying to find another tranny.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
not sure why the tech library only mentions problems with the M5OD...probably due to the sheer numbers produced. the mitsu and toyo koygo trannies are less then impressive and are a big downgrade in strength and durability.

if you want a deeper gear ratio..how about a doubler? you get to keep your stock tranny and t-case, and the kit for the doubler is only a few hundred bucks.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
not sure why the tech library only mentions problems with the M5OD...probably due to the sheer numbers produced. the mitsu and toyo koygo trannies are less then impressive and are a big downgrade in strength and durability.

if you want a deeper gear ratio..how about a doubler? you get to keep your stock tranny and t-case, and the kit for the doubler is only a few hundred bucks.
Send me your M50D and I'll send you my fm146...lol....that's the tranny I'm looking for. :)

I'd go with the doubler setup.

footee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Doublein' it up sounds good. The only thing I can think where that may be a problem is driveshaft angle. I only have a reg cab long bed. But, I reckon if they can do it in the Jeeps, with a shorter wheel base, I can do it. Now, I need to find how to adapt to my t-case and what a good case would be to run with it. Don't have any extra power, just a stock 4.0 and the 4.56s and 35-12.50s, so some durability without being a rockwell sized would be great!

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
run any manual shift 1350 or 1354. driveline angles will only be a problem if you have a ton of lift. theres a company somewhere that sells the "kit" to convert a 1350/4 into a doubler case. the installation looks to be almost bolt-in (especially if you back it with a electric shift case).

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
For your driveshaft problem you'll want to have about 1-1.5 degrees less pinion angle than the driveshaft angle at ride height. This is using a cv u-joint setup at the transer case and the single joint and slipyoke at the pinion. I've had good results with the slip-yoke down at the rear pinion (and you get a lil more ground clearance that way too)

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
To my knowledge, atlas makes a case for rangers, just no adaptor for the m50d. As for your comment on twin sticking, you have a point, unlock the hubs and you have 2-lo. However, The stick is not the only thing I'm looking to achieve. I'd like to get a lower crawl ratio through the case. I have 4.56 gears but Id like more crawl without sacrificing axles and gears. Also, reading in the tech library, It says of things going wrong with the m50d. None of the others really say much about thing going wrong. Well, if sticking with that is my best bet, so be it. It would definitely be cheaper than trying to find another tranny.
Uh, dude... the RBV Atlas bolts up to ALL RBV transmissions.

Thanks for coming...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals