• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

how do i get it out?

roughranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok i have a mud truck iam building with the 2.8 in it. the bronco set for probably a year with \out running. i started it up last night and had all kinds of rust in the radiator. i pulled the radiator hoses off and stuck a water hose down the top hose a rinsed the motor out till the water was clear then put the bottom hose back on and pulled the cap and ran water through the motor and radiator again till it was clear then pulled the radiator drain and ran more water through. my question is can i use like dish liquid in the radiator then start the trruck up and let the soap scrub the inside then drain it and wash it out again? will this do the job and not hurt the motor? thanks rough

Capt Jay

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93 body.
Make / Model
Ford(ish)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just rinse it and refill it with 50/50. No need to do more.

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Cleaners do not work in the cooling system. Pure water will get rid of the loose stuff. If the radiator tubes have clogging, you have to take the radiator apart and have it "rodded." Radiator shops run a metal rod down each tube cleaning out the crud.:)shady

roughranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
it is running really hot so the radiator maybe plugged! it is running 280 on my thermostat after sitting running for 30 minutes so the radiator maybe junk! any input?

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Factory gauges are not always very accurate and sometimes the sender is faulty; but yes, the radiator may be plugged with rust. You just have to check everything.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did you install a new 195* thermostat in there? If not that cheap item may be the problem. ALL engines need the proper thermostat in good working condition. Also at 280 degrees the thing should be puking it's guts out.. Your reading may not be telling you the truth.
Big JIm

Teoma

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
did you try boiling the rad out with a caustic radiator flush? This will help to get rid of some of the rust that plain water doesn't get rid of

Blacksheep

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l (For now.....)
Transmission
Manual
find a radiator shop near u, and let them clean, pressureize etc.... its only like 35 bucks at a shop around here. they dip it in acid and everything

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals