• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

home built lift

mikeE72

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
hi its mike i was wondering if i could do the f150 coil swap the f150 buckets and 1 in. of washers in the front and the explorer leaf springs and 4x4 blocks in the back to come out with a leveld 4 inches of lift. if i did do this i was wondering if i would have enough adjustment using all other stock components and if not what would i have to buy to make this work and where can i get them. also i know i would have to buy the stud extenders so where can i get them

thanks
mike E

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
i think you will need new shocks and if your from canada you can get them from Canadian Tire or Princess Auto, or just go take some from a F-150...
also i think with F-150 coils and 1 inch of washers will come to more like 5 inches, in the tech library some dude dont it and says he got around 4" from just the coils..but what do i know..just my $0.02

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
linky
hope it helps
sorry for double post.

mikeE72

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
thanks boggin, i knew it would be about 5 in in the front but the front already hangs down about an inch so i figured it would be a leveled 4 in of lift. i dunno. i was planin on using f150 shocks but didnt know if the mounts were the same. and how far out of whack do you think my camber will be? how acan i fix it ?and where can i buy the parts to fix it? we just got a new alignment machine at school so once schools back in i can use it.

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
your gonna need drop brackets for the ttb or you will never ever align the front end

mikeE72

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
are u not allowed to double post? what if u forget to ad something like what i just did.

will i need steering and brake line extenders?

mikeE72

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
what do the drop brackets look like and where can i get them
wont that hurt my ground clearance

ALSO I FORGOT TO MENTION I AM 2WD

Last edited:

mikeE72

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
where can i find these ttb drop brackets

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Read:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/2wdlifts.html

Even though your two wheel drive, you'll still need Axle Pivot Drop Brackets, otherwise, you tires will have some serious positive camber, like this:

The grey Boxes are your Axle Pivot Brackets, you need extended ones or 'drop' ones with that much lift to level out the axle beams

Last edited:

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Read:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/2wdlifts.html

Even though your two wheel drive, you'll still need Axle Pivot Drop Brackets, otherwise, you tires will have some serious positive camber, like this:

The grey Boxes are your Axle Pivot Brackets, you need extended ones or 'drop' ones with that much lift to level out the axle beams
x2,
sorry man i forgot to mention, you will need drop brackets, if you give any more than 2" of lift you will need drop brackets, i would make them if it were me,
they can look like this:

or this:

and this:

Like I said, if you have a welder and skills and a welder, I would make them, you have to make them strong if you do, and when it comes to buying them, Im not sure,

hope this helps

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
so any update on the situation?

mikeE72

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
thanks boggin ill prob end up making them lately ive just been trying to coax the engine into lasting the rest of the summer:pissedoff: because once school startsim doin one last burnout in the school parking lot and then driving it onto a lift where it will receive a freshly rebuilt 4L and the f150 coils and all that jazz. im a medeocure welder but my auto shop teachers pretty cool and he'll help me build the brackets. do you think you might be able to get me some more pics of those brackets and how tall do you think theyll need to be for the lift i was plannin i was thinkin 3in drop cause 5in lift minuse 2 in of acceptable lift without messin camber up = 3in

hey check out my post in rbvs under constructed and speak your mind

also thanks alot for all the info :D

Last edited:

dusto2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
if like in your other post you want to baja it, i would stay away from drop brackets and get beams that are turned for that amount of lift, its better ground clearance, and beefing up the factory pivots will help witht the strength too

mikeE72

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
this truck isnt going to be in the baja but will take alot of abuse getting me ready for the baja with the stock suspenion its already seen a good 2-3 feet of air to the bottom of the tires. where can i find these turned beams.(like the bent ones?)

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
autofab.

3.5 is generally the limit before drops are required...but you can possibly get spindles(modded knuckles) as well in combination.

small pieces of strap work well to lower the hard lines.

150 ttb arms help too with the stock brackets slid back on the frame. it helps caster and travel. e arms may be even better. it will let you keep the stock shock, or go longer with modded mounts on the 150 arms.

lots of crap you can do on the cheap. rock auto has the camber bushings cheap as well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals