• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

6000 miles and already worn out!?

grapegoat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I have a 93' ranger 4.0L 4x4, 150,000 miles on it. I just got a new clutch and a rebuilt tranny put in it in February. Now my throwout bearing is making the worst noise. It rattles so bad that it makes my truck almost sound like a diesel. My tranny is starting to whine in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th gear as well. Besides annoying the crap out of me, the truck runs and drives fine. If you had the stereo cranked up, you wouldn't even know. I wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed and went cheep on the clutch. It is a Luk brand clutch. My theory is it is a crap clutch and is already starting to fail. I think that the clutch has thrown my tranny out of alignment and that is whats causing it to start making noise. My tranny is under warranty but my clutch is not. So my questions are,

Any one ever have this same problem?

Is my crap clutch theory accurate?

should I replace it with a ford factory clutch?

am I going to have to replace the tranny again?

how much longer will this clutch/tranny last, Ballpark estimate?

Im pretty darn p.o. about this, I appreciate all the help I can get. thanks

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
No, you have a failing transmission. The clutch is likely fine.

I'd have a word with that transmission rebuilder if I were you. Unless you put gear oil in it...

grapegoat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Unless you put gear oil in it...
the installation was done by the top mechanic in my town. It says on the invoice that NAPA DEXRON MERCON was used.

Is that the right stuff?

So its my tranny that is going out?

What makes you think that?

Could it be damaging my throwout bearing? because when stopped and the truck is in neutral, I disengage (push in) the clutch and the noise stops, then when I engage it (release pedal), the noise starts again. the tranny makes a seperate, higher pitch noise when in motion.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The every-gear-but-4th noise is a classic transmission problem. There are a couple of parts in the transmission it might be, but really nothing outside it can do that. It's often accompanied by noises in neutral.

When you push the clutch in, if it's working correctly, the transmission stops spinning even in neutral. You can try the same test with the vehicle rolling, and I'll bet it makes SOME noise then. It won't be any different for the release bearing.

Mercon ATF is the correct fluid for this transmission.

grapegoat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The every-gear-but-4th noise is a classic transmission problem. There are a couple of parts in the transmission it might be, but really nothing outside it can do that. It's often accompanied by noises in neutral.

When you push the clutch in, if it's working correctly, the transmission stops spinning even in neutral. You can try the same test with the vehicle rolling, and I'll bet it makes SOME noise then. It won't be any different for the release bearing.

Mercon ATF is the correct fluid for this transmission.
yeah I have been doing a few tests to it. when rolling I put it in neutral and hold in the clutch, no noise what so ever, when rolling I put in neutral and release the clutch, very little to no noise, then like you said, every gear but 4th whines like hell. Im calling the shop tomorrow and getting me a new one. thanks for the help.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i am on my second throwout bearing from napa. both have made a soft rumbling noise while released from day one.

the first was replaced with 20k on it on a non-T/O bearing related issue (i had the tranny out, so it got replaced) and was still like new when i pitched it...with no damage to the pressure plate forks or the T/O bearing face. personally, im not too worried about it and i dont think you should be either.

the tranny noise is a whole different story. get it replaced (hope the shop you got it from doesnt try to hassle you)

grapegoat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
(hope the shop you got it from doesnt try to hassle you)
they shouldn't, My whole family has gotten all there work done at that shop. the owner knows us by name. I went to high school with his son. they are good people. I called them today and I got an appointment to take it in on Monday. Im still 3500 miles within the warranty, I got the receipts and the invoice still. Shouldn't be a problem. It better not be :pissedoff: no trucky, no worky.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
No, you have a failing transmission. The clutch is likely fine.

I'd have a word with that transmission rebuilder if I were you. Unless you put gear oil in it...
X2.........

grapegoat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
thought I would give an update. I took it to the shop this morning. like you all said. tranny is failing, the owner of the shop got on the phone with the tranny rebuilder and gave him a good long talkin to :taunt:. its gettin a new one in a couple days. :icon_hornsup:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
glad everything is working out for you. hopefully the next tranny wont be a lemon.

grapegoat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
glad everything is working out for you. hopefully the next tranny wont be a lemon.
Thanks man. If the next one is a lemon, I will officially claim myself as the most unlucky person In the world :bawling:.

grapegoat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
the mechanic called me and said when he drained my tranny fluid, there was a bunch of metal in it. :3gears:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
huh..some rebuild :annoyed:

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well, that's what we suspected.

Hopefully the next one will be better.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals