• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

body armor

91rangerstx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
i need some ideals for body armor but not a full exo cage just something to protect cab from trees on the sides i was wondering if i got some rocksliders that stuck out some from the body if that would help anyone got any ideals would like to see some pics if you do thanks

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
Enough whoring the same pictures in every post, GOOD GAWD.....:rolleyes:

The bolt-on style brush guards are really pretty worthless. The stock bumper is weak, why should anything bolted to it be different? You're best bet is a set of sliders, if you can make them yourself have at it and have them stick out 4-6". Everything helps. A good bumper front and rear would also be on my list. Some guys aren't a fan of bumpers on their rigs, but i am. Anything I can do to protect the front of my truck (namely the radiator and other coolers) I'll do it. I clipped countless trees with the bumper on my old Ranger, and hat several slide down the side of the flatbed or into the rear of the bed. My sliders didn't protrude much from the body, but they were enough that I could slide over rocks, stumps etc without getting into what was left of the body. I've also seen some slick setups that had tubes routed around the fenderwells between the bumper and sliders. That would also help out.

91rangerstx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
no my problem is the tight trails and i get to close to a tree on the sides and i dent it all up all the time its a supercab by the way too so that dont help lol just looking for some body protection i was thinking rock rails that stick out side of the body some might work but idk if it would really help anyone know??? lol thanks tho

91rangerstx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
thanks johnny u thats what i was looking more for lol no a bolt on push bar the are to weak as you side

91rangerstx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
but also if the rock sliders stick out 4 to 6 in would that still be street legal it is sticking out more than the body ??

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
They would be considered part of the body I guess. Kind of like fender flares. The only thing that matters about sticking out are the tires as they can throw rocks/mud/debris which could pose a hazard to others on the road.

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If you put a curve on the front and rear of the sliders as you commonly see, they won't catch pedestrians as you drive by. They'll gently nudge them to the side...

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you put a curve on the front and rear of the sliders as you commonly see, they won't catch pedestrians as you drive by. They'll gently nudge them to the side...
Haha, I was just thinking that.

Like some 1-1.5 tube running the length of the truck from wheel well to wheel well, kind of like nerf bars, and curved on the two ends.

91rangerstx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
yea i might do something that like idk

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
Bumpers and pushbars for running down trees? :pissedoff: :nono:

The sliders are a good idea, like johnny u said, make them stick out a bit and it will not only help fend off things from below, but from the sides too. Generally, if they're even with the outside edge of your tire, you'll save the sides. Another thing I've been looking at making is bedside sliders. They would be basically made of angle iron and tube, bolting to the top of your bedside, with the tube sticking out a couple inches from the bedside. The top of the bedsides seem to be a magnet for trees in off camber situations, and anything to spread the load over the whole bedside would help out.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
The way I built my sliders, and front bumper keep the trees awa from the body pretty well

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals