• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

General AC Question's

LordVngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I've owned my 89 STX for about 8 years now and when I bought it the a/c worked for about the first year. They probably just loaded it up with R-12 back then. Hasnt blown cold since then.

Since I plan on keeping the truck for awhile I'd like to bring the a/c back to like when it was New and convert it to R134 at the same time. I'm pretty good at turning wrenches but I've never really Worked on a/c system and dont know the ranger inside and out.

I was going to take it someplace and see what they say it's going to take to fix it But I notice now when I push in the switch to kick the compressor in Nothing Happens. I guess this Has to work bufore the system can be checked correct. Whats causing that?

Anyway Is a shop going to beable to tell me Exactly what needs to be replaced and What if Anything is Leaking. My Primary concern here is the Evaporator. I feel I can replace everything myself without too much problem Except for that.

To remove the Evaporator do I really have to pull the whole heater box assembly from the firewall. And if so how hard is it with the motor installed. Looks to me like the box splits right at the Evaporator location.

Anyway I'm not too sure here where to Start, I'd like to just Replace Everything but just not Sure. Your thoughts please....

thegoat4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The AC system has pressure switches in it to protect the compressor. One switch will cut off the compressor if pressure falls too low, so the compressor will not run at all if you system has leaked all or most of its freon. A good shop will be able to figure that out in a hurry.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If you have a V-6, you won't succeed in splitting the evaporator box with the engine installed. It just HAS to come out. It's a PITA. Tricks are to peel back or remove the wheel well (plastic), and note that one of the studs goes the other way (so you get at it from inside the cab).

Yes, a shop should be able to tell you exactly what is wrong, but since it's been nearly 20 years this thing has been exposed to the atmosphere, they will have an easier time telling you what is NOT wrong. It may very well be cost effective to buy all new refrigeration parts (runs about $700 or so; around half is the compressor). The problem is that the inside of EVERYTHING will be filled with corrosion products.

But the diagnosis is worth it. If there is any refrigerant in the system, pretend that first paragraph isn't there. But I wouldn't count on it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals