• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford rethinks marketing of F-150 trucks

hades

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I found this article in the internet while looking for some car stuff. I hope you'll also find it interesting.

"DETROIT -- How do you bring a new full-sized pickup to market with $4-a-gallon gas?

That's the challenge facing leaders of Ford Motor Co. as they launch the company's best-selling product -- the iconic F-150 -- as the market moves faster than ever away from large trucks toward affordable, fuel-efficient cars.

The automaker already has made some big decisions designed to bring Ford trucks back to their Built-Ford-Tough roots. Instead of kicking off the launch of the all-new 2009 F-150 with luxurious four-door models, Ford instead will launch the truck with the two-door models that always have been more popular among contractors, farmers and fleet customers.

What's more, Ford also plans to focus most of its future marketing efforts on customers who buy a truck for work instead of pleasure or everyday driving -- a big shift from the past when Ford was focused on selling Harley-Davidson-accessorized and King Ranch SuperCrew truck models, which come with four regular doors, as luxurious substitutes for cars.

"The core truck buyer is who we're going to focus on," said Mike Crowley, Ford's group marketing plans manager for trucks and SUVs. "Those who want a truck, and need a truck, will make compromises to buy it."

Of course, the F-150 won't be the only pickup vying for their attention. The Chevy Silverado, GMC Sierra, Dodge Ram and Toyota Tundra also will be competing for the shrinking pool of truck buyers.

But with an all-new version of the F-150, Ford still says it has a winner, despite the tough market."

Read the rest of the article here.

To get updates from the automotive industry, visit the Autopartswarehouse blog.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I think it's a shame my 2007 F-150 is only rated at 16MPG. That's not much more than the 1989 7.3 Diesel F-250 I had.

Jimmeh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I think it's a shame my 2007 F-150 is only rated at 16MPG. That's not much more than the 1989 7.3 Diesel F-250 I had.
But think of how much money you are saving at the pump each time you fill up. With diesel over a half dollar more expensive then regular, it's definitely worth it IMO.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ain't a fair comparison. The F250 had no lockup converter and no overdrive. I know my truck was absolutely unbearable on the highway with 4.10 gears and no overdrive. I drove it 45mph back from Florida when I bought it because it was driving me crazy above that speed. With the overdrive it does a lot better. I wish it had a lockup converter too. A turbo takes away a lot of the noise and adds about 10% on mileage. With a Banks kit and a Gear Vendors you could still be driving your F250 and getting better mileage. Not quite as plush as the new truck though.

crazy96863

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
This can't be bad for Ford...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,379401,00.html

Toyota is at least temporarily drop the Tundra and the Sequoia?. Selling more small cars is fine but what Ford does best and makes the most money at is selling trucks, and a lot of them.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This can't be bad for Ford...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,379401,00.html

Toyota is at least temporarily drop the Tundra and the Sequoia?. Selling more small cars is fine but what Ford does best and makes the most money at is selling trucks, and a lot of them.
They just suspended them for 3 weeks, Ford did something similar by delaying the launch of the new F-150 for a couple weeks while they sell the '08's on the lot.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25621408/

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals