• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

dodge ford 9"

viperar15

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
so i'm curious who has known about this... apparently, Dodge made use of the Ford 9" axles in some of their vehicles. As far as I can tell, everything of the axle is Ford, EXCEPT for the yoke.

I worked with a buddy to get a U-joint to go from my 99 ranger drive shaft to the yoke... and i kept measuring the cap diameter... 1 1/8".

There was not a single ford u-joint with that size.. joking he mentioned "where'd you get this... outta a dodge?" and the guy next to him mentioned that some dodge vehicles had 9" axles.

sure enough... found that a dodge u-joint fit perfectly... and readily available in most parts stores is a u-joint for a dodge to ford size caps for a 99 ranger, because they must do some wierd stuff that those u-joints are used normally in vehicles.

anyway... just thought i would pass along the info, since nothing anywhere did i ever see in the tech library that a 9" could be found in a dodge vehicle. i had no clue where it came from, just picked it up from a guy on this forum years ago and finally made use of it.

blackbronc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
89 BII retired
Make / Model
91 Xplodr Sport
Transmission
Manual
I'd have to see documented proof of that to believe it. Chrysler owned New Process for years and had axle manufaturing capability in house for all light and medium duty vehicles. For heavy duty apps. they went to Dana/Spicer Corp like everybody else did. Since Dana was pretty much sole supplier of u joints and yokes for the big 3 I wouldn't be a bit surprized to see an oddball yoke on a 9". There are big, small, long, short, companion flanged and undoubtedly many more variations on 9" yokes. The special u joint is an "adapter" joint. The original driveshaft for that rearend probably had 1 1/8" cups all around.

viperar15

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
so far i have talked to several dodge guys that have confirmed that in a some rare cases, the ford 9" was used in dodge vehicles. i'm gonna search for docs on it now...

speedy448

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Dodge had it own drop out third member rear axle. A 8.75 in. Use from 1958-1974. But if it was a ford 9" in a dodge from the factory, more info would be nice.:icon_bounceblue::bye:

blackbronc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
89 BII retired
Make / Model
91 Xplodr Sport
Transmission
Manual
They had their own 8 3/4" rearend which was a very similar design to a 9". It worked fine with Max Wedge 426s, 383/440 magnums. Hemis got 5 lug dana 60's. If they have seen 9s in Dodges they're most likely swapped in since it's so easy to do. With 4 1/2 and 5 1/2" lug paterns being the same between the brands it is an easy swap with little modification needed.

Combs Customs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 1993 /19
Make / Model
Ford / Ford / F
Engine Size
4.0L / 4.0L /4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Band Hammer for Kitty Spammer?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals