• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AC Shrader valve sticky - need to know what tool to get

stinkijeans

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
It appears my Shrader valves on both the high and low side have a very tiny leak. Although the port caps contain the leak, I want to replace the valves.

Question is... where can I get one of those valve core tools that will remove the cores without discharging the whole system? I found some on EBay, but it looks like they are for the R-12 systems. Mine has the R-134A with the quick-connect ports ( I assume all R134 has that type of port - I'm new to fixing this AC stuff)

I thought about the local AC shop, but they won't even look at it without dropping $75 in their hands, so piss on that... I'll buy my own damn tool. I own 3 Rangers, so I have no doubt I'll use the tool more than once.

??

2001 Ranger XLT Supercab, 4.0 SOHC

Thanks,

SJ

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
It appears my Shrader valves on both the high and low side have a very tiny leak. Although the port caps contain the leak, I want to replace the valves.

Question is... where can I get one of those valve core tools that will remove the cores without discharging the whole system? I found some on EBay, but it looks like they are for the R-12 systems. Mine has the R-134A with the quick-connect ports ( I assume all R134 has that type of port - I'm new to fixing this AC stuff)

I thought about the local AC shop, but they won't even look at it without dropping $75 in their hands, so piss on that... I'll buy my own damn tool. I own 3 Rangers, so I have no doubt I'll use the tool more than once.

??

2001 Ranger XLT Supercab, 4.0 SOHC

Thanks,

SJ
most a/c parts houses have valve core pocket screwdrivers free at the counter.these only work on empty systems,they are used to install/remove the core.new cores are also sold there.

on pressurized systems,a tool called a c&d tool is used.they sell for around $60.they fit 1/4 inch fittings,so not sure you could benefit much on a 134 system.

stinkijeans

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the reply Skip.

Yea, I've seen plenty of the 1/4" and 5/16 tools that work on the R12 system, but the only R134 tool I've found comes in a huge kit that costs more than I want to spend.

I guess the worse case scenario is to discharge the system and replace the valves.

Thanks,

SJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Wrong.....You EVACUATE the system, replace the valves, vacuum the system down and then refill it with R134a refrigerant and a small amount of R134a florescent leak detection dye. You NEVER...EVER...EVER EVER EVER...just discharge an A/C system.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if i was in your situation,and money was tight,i would just put new caps on it and forget it.

fordwheelin is right,you can't just dump refrigerant.illegal as hell and a waste of refrigerant.new caps w/o-rings will keep valve cores from leaking the system down if it is indeed just a tiny leak.

stinkijeans

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I appreciate the replies, but did I say ANYWHERE that I was going to simply DUMP the refrigerant into the open air?

NO I DIDN'T !

Excuse me, but I'm not as stupid as you think I am.

I have all the proper gear to discharge (excuse me.. EVACUATE) the system. I just did a complete vacuum/recharge on my 94 Ranger.

All I was looking for was the tool to remove those valves WITHOUT discharging and not a f-in lecture from holier-than-thou.

SJ

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
When the term discharged is used, the natural assumption is that one is talking about poking in a valve core and releasing the refrigerant. IF however you have the proper equipment, then by all means go for it, but please use the proper terminology so as to properly explain your situation. NO i am not lecturing and i am certainly not a "hollier-than-thou", HOWEVER i AM tired of the MASSIVE amounts of posts put up on this site about people dumping refrigerant into the atmosphere. So excuse me if i seem a bit crass towards the idea of someone doing just that. Did i EVER...ANYWHERE say i thought you were stupid? NO i didnt. It was not a lecture, it was a corrective measure. You wanna jump down someones throat, try doing it when you have all the facts straight.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sorry if i seemed out of line,was not my intention.

the terminology as i have been taught in commercial/residential/refrigeration trade.

recovery-pulling refrigerant from equipment using recovery unit.
recycle-pulling refrigerant from equipment using a recovery machine equiped with filter driers.
reclaim-process of purifying recovered refrigerant to ari 741 standards.done at facilities equipped to do so.
evacuate-to pull a vacuum on a sealed system to remove air and non-condensibles.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals