• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New accumulator, condensor, or both?

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well I recently bought a 2.5 for my Ranger, and I think the swap is taking place this weekend. I bought a new A/C compressor about 6 months ago and have used it probably two months of those six. The system is empty right now and no belt's running on the compressor pulley.

I found out that my accumulator may be partially clogged (when I did a tranny swap 5-6 months ago) and was wondering if I need to also replace my condensor along with it. Can I get away with just replacing the accumulator? Thanks

Allen

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Depends on what the plug was. If it's sticky black bits of compressor, I'd seriously think about replacing the condenser. If it's old stop-leak or bits of the insides of deteriorating hoses, I'd flush all the used parts out and go for it (the difference is that stop leak won't eat the compressor).

But how could you plug the accumulator? Gunk would have had to make it through the evaporator to get there. Most blockages occur at the orifice tube. And what does a tranny swap have to do with that?

If you're nervous about it, you can replace the entire refrigerant system for around $500, including the compressor (and as you know, the compressor is by far the biggest part of that). It's not necessary, but might buy you some peace of mind. Getting at the evaporator is a big PITA on a V6 RBV, but it may be substantially easier with a 2.5 in there. It's definitely cake with no engine installed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals