• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

7.5 rear end - 10" drums

kroed11581

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Jee
Engine Size
3.0, 4.0 304V8
Transmission
Automatic
7.5 rear end - 10" drums

So I'm doing the brakes on my 99 4x4 Ranger yesterday... Found out I have the 10" brakes on the 7.5 axle. My understanding was that all 7.5 axles have the 9" brakes - apparently not! Talk about frustration! I already painted my new drums and of course opened the hardware kit. Hopefully Red Rooster will exchange everything, if not, you'll be seeing it in the for sale section! :buttkick:
________
RC144

Last edited:

philS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I was down at AZ the other day buying brake parts for an 87 7.5" rear and according to their computer, if the build date was later than a certain point in 87 (can't remember exactly) then 10" were an option. They could be wrong, but always best to check first LOL

I guessed 9" and luckily I was right.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I'd always thought 4x4's had 10" brakes. Wrong.

My 93 4x4 had 9" brakes.

They work just fine. I can lock up the rears easily with 30" tires. A deer that jumped out in front of me proved that. lol

(The ABS is a little shot.....I think the wheel speed sensor....)

Most likely just a lottery on what you get.

kroed11581

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Jee
Engine Size
3.0, 4.0 304V8
Transmission
Automatic
UPDATE: The parts store did exchange everything and it is all installed and works great.

I ruined the threads of one stud when pounding on the drum to remove it originally. Since it was late at night, I just didn't put that nut on. Can I remove the stud without removing the axle shaft? I know I'm being lazy and I could just go out and look, but I thought I'd ask if anyone knows offhand. I really don't want to remove the axleshaft because I just had it out to put the new bearing in. Thanks!
________
CL160

Last edited:

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I don't think there'll be enough room....

I'm afraid you'll just have to. The only real inconvience is dumping the gear lube.

ChrisR1S

10/2013 STOTM Winner
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Mild 5.0
Transmission
Manual
haha, i did the same with my 94. ordered all new hardware and everything for the 9in, only to find that i had the 10in....talk about being mad. and on a side note, i just did the explorer swap, and now i have rear disks which is wayy better than the drums, its awesome, and there is no confusion when ordering parts haha.

And as far as the wheel stud goes, idk... there may be enough room, just have to pop the wheel off and check

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals