• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Checking for a clogged cat...

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
well after some recent engine troubles it has been brought to my attention that it may be a clogged cat causing the problems. i was told that a colgged cat will run hotter than normal, anybdoy have any idea of the temp range? i have an IR thermometer i will use tonight to test it after its hot. i have also read that your vacuum at the intake will be low, anybody know what the figures should be there? i'll check that tonight as well.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
temperature is NOT going to tell you anything. true that plugged cats usually run hotter...but temp. depends on too many other factors (like how long the motor has been idling, what speed you've been driving, how well your cooling system is running, how rich/lean your fuel system is, ect) to tell you anything useful.

vacuum is the way to go on this. at idle, you should get a reading of about 20". a plugged exhaust system will cause either a steady low read....or a reading that starts out normal, and slowly drops to low or zero.

unfortunately, there are also a few other things that can cause smiler readings. dont take any one result as 100% proof.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
it doesnt appear to be a big issue. about 15" at idle and if i gas it a little, it drops then picks back up to about 20" and cat temp was less than 100* difference from inlet to outlet. i guess i will continue my explorations elsewhere...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals