• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Torn boot on steering shaft

Jen45kc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I've been trying to read other post on this topic, and haven't really seen much on this subject. I realized my 'boot' on the steering shaft is torn. I have a 99 Ford Ranger. Can I replace the boot, or do I need to replace the whole 'shaft?' :icon_confused: Friend of mine came by tonight, and thought the boot could be replaced. I'm really hoping this is all that needs to be done, but with my luck lately, I'm not feeling to good about this. LOL
:mad:
Thanks for your help.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
Does the steering feel loose?

If it has not been torn for a long time, It can be replaced. If its been like that a while and contaminants have gotten in and caused premature wear however, it will need to be replaced.

Welcome to the forum!

Jen45kc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for the reply, and the warm welcome. I already love this site, and have it set for my home page. :icon_cheers: The last time I was under the hood was about a week - week and a half ago, and I didnt notice the torn boot. As far as the steerling, it doesnt feel loose at all. The bad thing is that I have to drive the rest of the week to work. Do you think a couple more days of driving will cause alot of contaminants?
Thanks again for the reply.

Does the steering feel loose?

If it has not been torn for a long time, It can be replaced. If its been like that a while and contaminants have gotten in and caused premature wear however, it will need to be replaced.

Welcome to the forum!

phatcap

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
i had the exact same problem

go to rockauto.com under the steering section and get the moog rack and pinion bellow kit. it's only like 12-14 bucks. it comes with crappy zip ties to hold it on though. i got some new clamps like the ones that were on it originally. no more leaks!

Jen45kc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you very much phatcap. When I went to a Ford company in town and asked them about the 'boot' they said that my truck doesn't have one.
This should be very helpful. :icon_thumby: Thanks again and sorry it took so long for me to get back to you with a reply.

phatcap

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
no problem. glad to help. i had a tough time finding it too until a co-worker told me to look on rockauto.com. checked it out and they had one. i was getting sick of topping off the power steering fluid every few days.

thegoat4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for the reply, and the warm welcome. I already love this site, and have it set for my home page. :icon_cheers: The last time I was under the hood was about a week - week and a half ago, and I didnt notice the torn boot. As far as the steerling, it doesnt feel loose at all. The bad thing is that I have to drive the rest of the week to work. Do you think a couple more days of driving will cause alot of contaminants?
Thanks again for the reply.
Mine has been torn for months. Driven daily, even through water, no looseness yet. Driving on it for another week won't hurt yours at all.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals