• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Do you think this subbox would work?

motorida26

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 - w/ 74k M
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
So some people probably already know, but i want to get some more bass in my truck without loosing the jumpseats.

After thinking a bit. I realized I could fit a small box behind the drivers seat under the jumpseat. Its hard to get into the back of the truck from the drivers side anyway because of how the seat doesnt go all the way forward.

I went on Elemental Designs' website and used their custom box program app thingy and felt this would do best.

It'd be 7.25" high, and 12.5" by 14". the cF came out to like .308 or something which is what the recommended sealed enclosure volume for the SQ10. for what im looking for thats the sub i think i should get.

any thoughts? what else would i need?

also, what amp should i use if any? Sorry, im new to audio. Thanks for the help

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
7.25 H <<<<<that wouldnt work anyway
12.5 w
14 D

i get .458 sqft using 3/4 mdf. .541 using 1/2 mdf

if your going to use a box that big, why not go with a true 10.
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?t=2&products_id=30

it pretty much has the same box requirements but youll definitly get more performance.

if you plan on going with the sq10, dont feed it more than 150W. and use these dimensions:

11.5 H
11 W
7.5 D
thats using 3/4 mdf. thatll give you .33 sqft and will result in .3sqft after sub displacement is taken into account.

as far as amps go, is it only giong to be used to power a sub?

motorida26

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 - w/ 74k M
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
i forgot to mention. the sub is firing up. so when i said height i really meant the depth.

well thats dumb. i dont even need the shallow mount. lol i should've realized that.

alright. thanks for that.

i think the amp would only be powering the sub, but i dont know what would be better.

I need new speakers all the way around, so im going to be needing those. any suggestions on what brand/speaker i should get? I would only like to spend around 200 for all 4 speakers. not much more than that.

motorida26

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 - w/ 74k M
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
actually after making a box out of cardboard, it doesnt fit with the jumpseat.

back to the drawing board hahah.

any thoughts would be apppreciated.

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
what are the dimensions of the space your trying to squeeze a sub into? that sq10's mounting depth is only 3" so the box would only have to be 4" deep. and if you only feed it 150W you could get away with only using .5" mdf.

about the speakers, have you considered only upgrading the fronts only? some nice polk or boston accoustic speakers would sound really nice, especially with a sub to fill in the lows.

this amp would be great for a 4ohm sq10.
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=17035

if you have to have 4 speakers these might be for you
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9125_Polk+Audio+db571.html

thats if you still want to stay with a 6x8. let me know. there are plenty of options

motorida26

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 - w/ 74k M
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
the only problem with making the box only 4" deep is that i'd have to extend it outwards more. at least to try and remain at .3cF.

well my speakers in the front are basically dead. the right front one just kinda buzzes and the left front one just doesnt work. my rear speakers are going out, thats why i would like to replace them. Although now that i think about it, all im really going to be hearing is the front ones anyway, so that would save me some money. xD

I know they make adapter plates for different size speakers, but I thought I would just stay with a 6x8 or 5x7.

Ill measure out the area tonight where I could fit a box, Its way too damn hot out right now to sit in a vehicle!

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
well if you use 3/4 mdf it will have to be 5.5" deep. 1/2 and it will only have to be 5" deep.

if you went with 1/2" mdf your box could be 5x13x13 or 6x12x11.5

as far as speakers, just hit up some local shops and listend to them all.

sarasota

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i had 2 12's in mine, and it came to the center console. i took that out and put one 12 behind the passenger seat pointing up... the other seat is still fully accessible

i didnt remove the other seat, i just folded it up, so if i REALLY needed the space, i could just undo the wiring to the box.

motorida26

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 - w/ 74k M
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Will there any difference between 3/4 mdf and 1/2 mdf that will be noticeable?

Im thinking now I might as well just run kinda what sarasota did. Ill just make/get a regular box, and just run it on a quick disconnect system. But if I could i'd like to just be able to use the seats AND have a sub.

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
for a low power application like hte sq10, 1/2 will be fine. the box will not flex.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals