• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Truck running rich!

speed_demon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I finally got my truck to run smooth but its still running rich. The plugs are powder black color, it struggles at idle and the exhaust leaves a black spot on the ground. If I prevoke a small vacuum leak it runs much better and the exhaust is clean. My ECU coolant temp sensor seems to check out but I haven't been able to check anything else. All the plugs are the same and it doesn't miss so I don't think its a leaky injector. I pulled the vacuum line on the fuel pressure regulator and it doesn't leak although the fuel pressure regulator still could be running at too high a pressure. I don't have any way to test the fuel pressure. My next thought is the o2, MAP, MAF (I cleaned it already), or intake air temp sensor.

I want to test the o2 sensor but don't know what wires are what. I know two are heat and the other two are signal. Which wires are which?

What are the most likely causes of a rich condition?

btw, when I hooked up a code reader the tests ran (rpms went up and down, ect...) but the result was always "unresponsive".

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Run the KOEO test before even admitting the KOER test exists.

Read the instructions for your code reader. You don't hook it up while the engine is running.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals