• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'93 & 2000 M5R1/M50D-R1 the same??

alnvilma

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
New here.
You Ford guys (well, I guess I am now too) should know;
I can buy a good 2000 4cyl backed 5 spd tranny for my 1993 4cyl/5 spd.
Is this a straight bolt-in Saturday swap? Are all the 5 speeds the same if hooked to a 4 banger? Mine howls horrible when decelerating.

Thanks

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Are you sure it's the transmission that's howling? It's certainly possible. But I'd rule out the rear end first. Is the howl the same in all gears?

The transmissions are similar. The stick goes in a different spot and may have different switches (generally, you can swap the top covers to take care of that). I believe 2.5Ls and 2.3Ls have the same bolt pattern, but someone will have to confirm that.

alnvilma

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sure seems like the tranny because the noise is so much more pronounced in third gear (deceleration only) than the others. Switching top plate? yikes.

Strub1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
they will bolt up and they should have the same shifter location haven't ever seen a ranger with a different location. now the top covers do have a different shifter tower height so make sure if you get a used tranny you get the shifter with it because one wont work in the other

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
the 2000 trans off a 2.5 engine will bolt up.

the shifter IS in a "different" location, but that location is changed vertically.

the later transmissions have a slightly taller shift tower AND in specific the lever is mounted differently to the "stub" ever which positions the lever itself a bit more than an inch to the rear (doesn't require a different boot or anything)

DO make sure you get the shift lever with the transmission.

AD

Bugs66

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This topic is of interest to me as well. Is it possible to use a 1988 (freshly rebuilt) transmission on a 2000 Ranger? I know one difference for sure is the speedo cable socket which is not needed. Would I just swap the rear covers? Sounds like I would need to swap the top covers too?

One final question is whether a 2000 transmission still has the mechanical speedo drive gear inside or did they delete it?

Thanks for any help. I am exploring the option of swapping a 1988 tranny (rebuilt) for a 2000 tranny (not rebuilt).

alnvilma

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
FYI
I just did this exact swap: a 2000 tranny into a 1993. My third gear howled on deceleration due to a worn input shaft bearing.
Here is what I had to do;
-I did not swap the top plates, just keep your old shift stick...mounts right on.
-Pull the tail cone off the '93 case. you will need it and the speedometer gear too. A little circlip holds the gear in place. Be careful you don't loose the little BB size ball on the output shaft. It holds the speedometer gear from spinning on the shaft.
-There is no gasket. Just use a little bead of RTV between the cone & case will do..
-My 3 rubber plugs on the top of the 2000 case were like new so I left them.
-Don't forget to put in a shade less than 3 quarts of Mercon. I used NAPA brand and a cheap plastic pump/hose made just for that.
This was the easiest part of the job!

Bugs66

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for this information. Out of curiosity, on the 2000 what did it have in place of the speedo drive gear? I presume the ball bearing detent is still there too?

FYI
I just did this exact swap: a 2000 tranny into a 1993. My third gear howled on deceleration due to a worn input shaft bearing.
Here is what I had to do;
-I did not swap the top plates, just keep your old shift stick...mounts right on.
-Pull the tail cone off the '93 case. you will need it and the speedometer gear too. A little circlip holds the gear in place. Be careful you don't loose the little BB size ball on the output shaft. It holds the speedometer gear from spinning on the shaft.
-There is no gasket. Just use a little bead of RTV between the cone & case will do..
-My 3 rubber plugs on the top of the 2000 case were like new so I left them.
-Don't forget to put in a shade less than 3 quarts of Mercon. I used NAPA brand and a cheap plastic pump/hose made just for that.
This was the easiest part of the job!

Last edited:

wvcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
On newer transmissions the hole isn't there, although its got the casting for it.

BTW - if anyone has an extra M5OD tail housing I need one(4wd)
John

alnvilma

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well, I don't know how 'new' you're talking about but the 2000 tranny I used did have the ball bearing detent in the tail shaft or I wouldn't have been able to use it. I have no idea how the electronic speedo works.

Bugs66

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well, I don't know how 'new' you're talking about but the 2000 tranny I used did have the ball bearing detent in the tail shaft or I wouldn't have been able to use it. I have no idea how the electronic speedo works.
Interesting. The later Rangers with electronic speedo use the rear differential (2WD) sensor.

brodmeister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
99 transmission

will the transmission from a 98 ranger bolt up to my 1994 ranger. they are both 4 bangers! is the wiring harness the same? will i need to do any thing with the shifter? this is my first ranger.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals