• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fluctuating Oil Pressure

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
I am just beginning to notice what I hope to be nothing. My mechanical oil pressure guage is starting to bounce around a lot. Not so much when under load, but when running at a constant engine speed it starts bobbing around within 5psi up and down. It seemed to start after I had done some work and partially kinked the plastic line, but now it seems to be getting worse, and I straightened the line back out.

Sound like a guage or engine problem.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
being a mechanical gauge, i doubt its your gauge.

you might pull your oil filter off an check it to make sure the drainback valve isnt torn or something

only other thing i can suggest is running an engine flush next oil change. as long as the pressure doesnt fluctuate down to below 20 or so, your probably not in any immediate danger (you wont cause damage to your engine until below 10 PSI)

Jspafford

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
being a mechanical gauge, i doubt its your gauge.

you might pull your oil filter off an check it to make sure the drainback valve isnt torn or something

only other thing i can suggest is running an engine flush next oil change. as long as the pressure doesnt fluctuate down to below 20 or so, your probably not in any immediate danger (you wont cause damage to your engine until below 10 PSI)
Naw, It never gets below 20, even at very warm idle. It stays smooth when in the lower numbers and upper numbers, but is all OVER the board between 30 and 50PSI. When it's at 60 (first started) and in the 20's (warm idle) it stays normal.

Weird.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i wonder if your oil filter is bypassing?

what brand of filter is it?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Does it do it relative to bumps? Maybe the plastic tube is kinking and unkinking when you hit a bump and giving you the odd reading.

BobR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ferd
Transmission
Manual
it could also be a piece od garbage on your pick up screen. old sealant or bit of a gasket.

Bob

Jspafford

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
The filter is whatever the ford dealer put on it about 2500 miles ago. I tried tapping on the guage to no avail. One thing I noticed which makes me think its the guage is before on very hot days like today 99 degress with the A/C on, the oil pressure would always drop down to just below the 20PSI mark. Recently since its been acting up though, it never drops below, and always stays at about 22-24PSI. I don't think it is reading right.

The work I did to it when I first noticed it was changing the valve cover gaskets. Right after I did that (when I kinked the line) it started being odd, but at first it was moving so little I had to stare to see it, now it is obvious. But not all the time..

We need a "pull your hair out" smiley

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
id definitely verify what your gauge is saying before going any further.

i still dont think its the problem...but its better to try it and find out it isnt the problem now, than to find out it is after you have the engine half apart.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
"The work I did to it when I first noticed it was changing the valve cover gaskets. Right after I did that (when I kinked the line) it started being odd, but at first it was moving so little I had to stare to see it, now it is obvious. But not all the time.."

Well I think that is your problem when you kinked the line going to the oil pressure gage...( & that what I understood you to say), you may have created a tiny pin hole which can suck air into the line. Air compresses ...fuilds don't, so with every pulse of the oil pump...you're seeing a flutuation on the gage. the tiny pin hole in your line most-likely isn't big enough to let the oil out because of surface tention...or has a very minimal weep there. In other words, it isn't leaveing puddles of oil on the ground to send a clear signal that tells you have a leak.... or is burning off because it is hitting the exhuast. A number of possibilities .

Now thru engine vibration and so on the tiny pin hole mabe getting larger....
Hence larger flucuations.
RECHECK the line feeding your oil pressure gage .

But i would also check as others mentioned to check the oil filter...what the Ford shop has done...etc

hope this helps

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
pressure is pressure. air in the line to the oil gauge would not matter as the air would be compressed to the same pressure as the oil.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yup, and if it's leaking, that would be, well, kinda obvious. It's under pressure, not vacuum.

I suspect the oil may be getting a bit hot. This makes it thinner. Even multigrades. The effect is very substantial in oil pressure.

Generally, if the oil isn't burning up or getting fouled (e.g., from a miss), and the pressure isn't getting low enough to cause high RPM valve clatter, there is probably nothing to worry about. If it IS burning up, switch to synthetic.

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would try to verify the oil pressure with a different gauge. Around here you can buy a cheap gauge for about $20. To me it's a small price to pay for something that can potentially be very serious. However, I agree that there is most likely no problem.

BobR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ferd
Transmission
Manual
"The work I did to it when I first noticed it was changing the valve cover gaskets. Right after I did that (when I kinked the line) it started being odd, but at first it was moving so little I had to stare to see it, now it is obvious. But not all the time.."
are you sure you didn't leave a pieces of that gasket in there to foul your pickup screen?

RTV used on an engine can also work its way loose.

Bob

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals