• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0-2.3 turbo swap

92dangerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys i'm just starting to put a 2.3 turbo into my 92 3.0 ranger. I bought a 1986 turbo coupe that had a junked title. The motor has 207,000 miles on it but still runs pretty strong. Of coarse i'm going to do a complet overhaul befor i drop it into my truck. I'm just looking for some good tips to increase HP befor i start doing anything major. I have heard that you can turn the boost up on the garrett turbos. I was just wondering the best way to get easy Horsepower.

ejholmgren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
ranger roller cam, ranger round tooth timing gears, LA3 computer / intercooler from an '87-88 'bird, etc

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
The ranger roller doesn't do much in terms of power gains, it's just so much more durable than the slider cams. It actually has less lift and duration than some of the turbo cams.

But other than that you want a "good" computer (any L seriers or 8UA) with the large vam and 35 lb/hr brown top injectors. These parts support up to about 280 hp before the large vam is pegged open and the injectors maxed out.

The easiest way to add power is get a good intercooler and crank up the boost. Other than that head porting and polishing is always helpful when you've got the engine apart. A tubular turbo exhaust header and 3" exhaust make it spool alot faster. Beyond that you are looking at engine control system tuning or replacement with megasquirt and a bigger turbo with more boost.

If you're going for big horsepower (350+) I would reccomend putting a fel-pro 1035 headgasket and aftermarket forged rods and pistons in when you're rebuilding it.

92dangerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
Thanks! I just pulled the motor and put it on the engine stand last night. I planned on using the computer out of the 86 turbo coupe. Is this a good computer or should i use something different? I'm definitely going to use a aftermarket intercooler and run it in front of the radiator. It did not make much sense to me that ford put the intercooler on the 87 and 88 right over the exhaust manifold. So what is the best way to increase boost? Do i need to use a different wastegate and what needs to be done to the computer? This is my first turbo motor so I'm full of questions.

Last edited:

92MiniMonster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
i believe 88 turbocoupe computers are the best, i did this swap into my 87 mustang, different parts from different year vehicles actually add up to a sweet set up. This is the site i first started with. This guy just swapped a 2.3t with 320,000 miles, stock head and internals, just bolt ons, and hes running 10.89 i think it said. www.projecthp.ford23.com Check it out, his products have become quite popular in the 2.3t community.

YeahItsA4Cyl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.0 na
Transmission
Manual
this is a pretty old thread but id like to add some info for anyone looking into 2.3T swaps, i owned an 87 turbo coupe, i also plan on doing a 2.3T swap in my 86 ranger

power adders are cheap for this engine and get great results. a good cheap setup:

87-88 computer
big VAM from 87-88
brown tops
Bo-Port cam (approx 366$)
roller rockers
ported upper and lower intakes,
ported e6 manifold (87-88turbo coupe) or header if you have the funds
stock t3 turbo from 83-96 turbo coupe at about 18pis
FMIC
full 3in exhaust (TURBO muffler)
K&N cone filter off the big VAM

you should be lookin at a pretty smokin ranger.

ALOT of info can be found on TurboFord.org or TurboTbird.com

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals