• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AC Clutch not staying engaged

realeyes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey folks,

98 3.0 v-6 5 speed.....Just fired up the AC for the first time this year and only hot air. Popped the hood and noticed that the AC clutch will click on, spin for a second or 2, then click off...and every 15 seconds or so repeats this. AC was fine last time I used it last summer. Does anyone have an idea of what may be the cause, and therefore cheaper and easier fix for me. I know that it is usually from either, low pressure on the freon, bad wiring or relay, or a shot compressor/clutch. Wanted to get an opinion so maybe I can test myself before I take it in and drop cash that I don't have. A side note, i have been having some minor electrical issues lately that may or may not be related. Dome light/door ajar light stays on occasionally, relay clicking in dash when I hit bottom of driver side window down (this may be normal, but i have never noticed before recently) Any ideas? Thanks in advance, I always get great help from this forum.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dome light: Search "door ajar".

AC needs refrigerant. Probably have a small leak.

Welcome to TRS, you have a PM.

Last edited:

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
With very asymmetrical cycle times like that, I'd suspect the orifice tube is blocked. But the way to tell is to put gauges on it, especially the high side.

NEVER "top off" refrigerant, as it can be very dangerous to overcharge it like that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals