• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

First post need help

eboliphant

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'm changing my front brake pads on a 1998 ranger....got the calaper off and new pads installed. I go to put the calaper back on the bracket and the top pin that the monting bolt screws into is frozen (pin with rubber boot on it that bolt screws into). How do I get it loose or do I have to buy a new calaper bracket? I have tried a shop hammer (carefully not to bend it). I put a 11/16 on it since it has two flat sides and tried to turn it, turn it with hammer hitting wrench.

I have called it off for the night....put some wd40 to soak the pin (careful not to get any on pads or rotors since I covered everthing up with an old towel)

Help....may have to put the old pad back on and go to shop or check if new calaper bracket comes with new monting pins that the bolts screw into.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
The slide pin is seized. You can take the caliper bracket off and put it in a vise and give it a few wackes with a hammer to free it up, you may need to use some heat to get it out. You can grab the head of the slide pin with some vise grips and try to turn it back and forth when you heat it to free it up and work it out of the bracket. If its bad enough to need to be heated with a torch to get it out its probably pretty pitted up. You can get a pin and boot kit from your ford dealer. Run some sand paper or emery cloth in the hole itself to clean the rust out. Get your self some brake caliper silicone lube and lube up the new pins and install them with the new boots.

eboliphant

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks

I ended up replacing the caliper bracket....took a couple parts stores to find one in stock but once I got it home had it installed and pads changed in 30 min.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals