• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A/C compressor cycling fast

StreetRanger01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My a/c compressor seems to be cycling very quickly. It kicks on for about 5-10 seconds and then turns off for about the same amount of times. The air blows cold and seems fine but this cycling seems a little abnormal to me. I just don't want to ignore it and it be an issue so I figured I'd post and see what ya'll thought.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If it's cold, don't worry about it. Cycle time is a function of ambient and inside temperature, and under some circumstances it can be that short. That on and off times are equal is good.

If you're really worried about it, inspect the system for oily deposits -- that's a sign of a leak.

But for A/C systems, as for just about anything else, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

92MiniMonster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
IMO, it needs more r-134, its ok that it is on for the same amount of time it is off, i guess. But when at idle with the truck parked, the compressor should stay on always. If the compressor is off more than it is on, the truck will never go cold. It does have to do with temperature, but, i know for certain the compressor should stay on all the time when parked at idle.

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
What if it's off LESS than it's on, and still plenty cold? Is that just the start of the problem?

What is there to know about recharging it yourself with a can of r-134 from Guido's Auto Parts?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If it's cold and quiet, it's fine.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

92MiniMonster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
If its cold, i guess roll with it. Although ive never had anything that was cold if its off more than on. You must have a kick ass compressor. There isnt much to know, i go with the basics, the guage that comes with the adapter recharge kit is very accurate. You want to hook up the guage/can on the dryer, and with the truck running in park and the a/c on, while the compressor is running the guage should be between 25 and 45 psi. Thats the main thing, its a must that you read that psi while the compressor is clicked on. And once you have that, the compressor should do like i stated in my last post.

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Mine is ON more than it's off, but still, after NINE years, I figure it needs a booster shot, eh?

I'll roll with it for a while... this is the acid-test time of year... strongest sun in the continental US... straight overhead at solar noon... no aftermarket tinting.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The hardest weather on an air conditioner is DRY hot air. It's not Florida. It's Nevada.

I have a 13 year old air conditioner on the Prizm. It's just fine. It's never been opened (though it has had a set of gauges on it).

For the third time in this thread, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

StreetRanger01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the input fellas. I think I'm going to take the original advice for now and let it be unless it stops blowing cold.

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
The hardest weather on an air conditioner is DRY hot air. It's not Florida. It's Nevada.
How do you figure? Takes more heat exchange to cool HUMID air. (Not to mention dumping/draining all that condensate.) But the truck's lived in NV and AZ too.

For the third time in this thread, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

But, but... won't the cycling degrade my clutch... and my MPGs, from PCM having to jink around?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It's true that the air conditioner affects idle. But if you're idling, your mileage is zero.

The effect of clutching and unclutching on highway driving is utterly negligible. Especially when you compare it to the effects of screwing up on an A/C repair. And just how much fuel do you think it takes to run an air conditioner? Hint: you can IDLE the vehicle with it running.

Dry air makes for substantially less effective heat transfer at the condenser. This makes it run hotter, and hence at higher pressure.

And the hottest part of Nevada is hotter than the hottest part of Florida. By a lot (Vegas routinely approaches 120 deg in summer).

StreetRanger01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I put a gauge on it today (one of those ones from the store with the bottle) and it read in the normal range at about 30 psi. So it must be fine, although someone did mention something about some switch to me that controls it. Could this switch be an issue or no?

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Dry air makes for substantially less effective heat transfer at the condenser. This makes it run hotter, and hence at higher pressure.
I use to think the same thing because it seems to make sense. However, at the track with my race car I find the engine runs hotter with higher humidity and high temperature than it does with with low humidity and high temperature. I find this to be consistent after many years of racing in So. Cal.

Do you have any data or reports that supports the dry air vs hot air cooling effect on a radiator or condenser? If you do I would like a reference because I would like to figure out why I am experiencing the opposite and don't understand why.

TrexMex

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My a/c compressor seems to be cycling very quickly. It kicks on for about 5-10 seconds and then turns off for about the same amount of times. The air blows cold and seems fine but this cycling seems a little abnormal to me. I just don't want to ignore it and it be an issue so I figured I'd post and see what ya'll thought.
Besides all the discussion going on about dry vs humid air (Humidity DEFINETLY helps, BTW, as the heat transfer capability of water is much higher than air by itself) I think I have the solution for the original question....

I had the exact same problem months ago, there is a pressure cycling switch that goes bad and makes the compressor clutch go on and off.... Yes I read the if it ain't broken why fix it thing a ton of times on this thread but then again why put the fan clutch under unnecessary stress? My bet is replace that switch and your problem will go away.

Last edited:

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
That's what I'm thinking too, i.e. that the pressure sensing switch would be designed to fail-safe in the direction of triggering early, rather than late or not at all.

So Trex, how much $$ for the switch? Oh crap, bet you gotta de-pump the whole system, right?

I wanna take MAKG's advice, but then again we're guys, so we all have to overcome the urge to "mess with it", eh? :derisive:

Additionally, I have manual tranny, so even at boulevard speeds (45mph) I can FEEL it cycling via "the seat of my pants"... this triggers the Sgt. Schultz voice in my head... "zer izz ZUMthing wr-r-r-rong wiss zee mechaNISM!"

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals