• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

RECALL: cruise control switch

CaliRanger1989

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just the other day, I received a recall notice (#05S28) about my cruise control switch possibly catching fire. The recall applies to 95-up Rangers and Explorers with cruise control. They said to me the parts don't come till next month for my 99 Explorer. Are the chances of a switch fire really good or are they slim? Anyone have/had this problem? :huh:

Last edited:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
It has happened often enough to warrant Ford FINALLY doing something about it. I don't have any RBVs new enough to be affected, but I do know somebody who's Excursion did the spontaneous combustion thing (in the driveway, not garage, fortunately).

You might try hitting the dealership up to disconnect power to the cruise system until he gets the parts. Also, there has been a post or two in the new forums here on this recall, which you might "search" up to find out more. Good luck with it.

Anger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Transmission
Automatic
Try another stealership. Yours should have the part. There are alot of recalled vehicles (more than just RBV's).
It's a five minute fix. It's a little extension to your wiring harness by your master cylinder.
I wouldn't worry to much, it's going back to 95. Do you uou think is right for your family :icon_thumby: .

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
out of 4 million vehicles recalled, 500-something related fires have been reported....so really, no, the chances are not good that you will have this problem. however, ANY chance is too much when talking about fire. having cruise is not worth risking the life of you, your family, your truck, your house, and the lives and property of your close neighbors. have the cruise disabled.

anger: the parts are currently unavailable from ford (in other words, NO dealerships have them in stock).

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
We just started getting the harnesses in the other day, so they should be showing up soon.

buzz_mn_58

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Anybody got there truck fixed on this recall yet? What is taking so long to get this part ? My local dealer here in northern Minnesota, told me maybe in June they might get the part ! ! This is a bunch of B.S.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
we are expecting parts now in march.....pushed back from the begining of feb. which was pushed back from mid december...

racinranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
we've had the parts since october. The other day we had 800 units in stock. Smaller guys that dont purchase like we do dont have any. our parts manager bought out the memphis stock when they came up..........i love monopolies. Either way go out check yoru brake switch connector if its dry your good. check it once a week till you get yoru parts. i put a bunch of info in another thread on 05s28

deliciadawn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Lincoln
Transmission
Automatic
Just the other day, I received a recall notice (#05S28) about my cruise control switch possibly catching fire. The recall applies to 95-up Rangers and Explorers with cruise control. They said to me the parts don't come till next month for my 99 Explorer. Are the chances of a switch fire really good or are they slim? Anyone have/had this problem? :huh:
www.myspace.com/paytonsproject The 1993 Lincoln Mark VIII I have, had around 86k on it, the cruise control would activate on it's on, we thought it was a feature of the luxury model car. On 12-9-06 my son calls me saying somethings wrong with the car, and jump or up" then a 911 call was placed by two girls who saw the car off the side of the road, with flames coming from the engine compartment, as the police photos confirm. My son and his girlfriend burned to death in that car. the SDCS was tested and found to have internally failed, 7 months later I received the first recall notice from Ford. Payton died from smoke inhalation, and thermal injuries, and the car crashed into two trees. It's kinda hard to drive when your dead.
Please take the recall seriously and take it in to be disconnected or replaced. A 20.00 part killed my child, I don't want this to happen to anybody else. I could not sleep at night if I knew I did not do my best to get the word out. You see it's not about money for me, it's about Ford not taking social Responsibility for it's loyal consumers. Everyday I see people driving around with children in these same cars/trucks and I know in seconds they could be in flames. I loved the American car company Ford/Lincoln/Mercury/Mazda/Volvo , but they obviously, don't love me, or my family. 26 months after Payton's death not even a flower of compassion.

deliciadawn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Lincoln
Transmission
Automatic
www.myspace.com/paytonsproject The 1993 Lincoln Mark VIII I have, had around 86k on it, the cruise control would activate on it's on, we thought it was a feature of the luxury model car. On 12-9-06 my son calls me saying somethings wrong with the car, and jump or up" then a 911 call was placed by two girls who saw the car off the side of the road, with flames coming from the engine compartment, as the police photos confirm. My son and his girlfriend burned to death in that car. the SDCS was tested and found to have internally failed, 7 months later I received the first recall notice from Ford. Payton died from smoke inhalation, and thermal injuries, and the car crashed into two trees. It's kinda hard to drive when your dead.
Please take the recall seriously and take it in to be disconnected or replaced. A 20.00 part killed my child, I don't want this to happen to anybody else. I could not sleep at night if I knew I did not do my best to get the word out. You see it's not about money for me, it's about Ford not taking social Responsibility for it's loyal consumers. Everyday I see people driving around with children in these same cars/trucks and I know in seconds they could be in flames. I loved the American car company Ford/Lincoln/Mercury/Mazda/Volvo , but they obviously, don't love me, or my family. 26 months after Payton's death not even a flower of compassion.

wally

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 98 ranger and just happened to be at the dealership when they told me about the recall. It took them less than five minutes to do it and they had the part on hand. this was back in november though.

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
i have a 2000 and have not yet had this done , i recieved the letter from ford , i use the cruise everyday , and have never had a problem , it seems funky that after 9 years and 160k miles , nothing has happened

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I was performing the o5s28 recall when I worked at a dealership in early '07.

If you've recently been informed and are worried, just simply unplug the switch on the end of the master cylinder.

All it is, is that that switch has constant power with no fuse. When/if the switch starts to leak fluid, it shorts the wire, then lights up the harness.

What is done (free of charge) at the dealer,
They check the switch and plug for leaks and wetness.
- if there is a presence of brake fluid, the switch is replaced
They check the plug and harness for melting or evidence of getting hot.
- if so, the end of the harness is replaced with a new pig-tail.
When everything checks out OK, or is fixed,
- the O5S28 harness is installed between the switch and the harness.

The new harness that gets installed is basically just an extension that plugs right in, and has a inline fuse to fix the issue. The extension harness also gets routed and zip-tied in a position where if the switch does leak the brake fluid will drip off the harness before getting to the fuse.

Most vehicles have no problems and just receive the harness. If they aren't busy you'll spend more time talking to your service writer than it takes to fix it.

***Please be advised I only wrote this up for the reader to have an idea of the problem and what the dealership will be doing. If you attempt to personally find a remedy that would be just plain stupidity, especially since this is a free/ mandatory service your local dealership must perform.

steev

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys...I just picked up a 98 2.5 2wd auto ranger a couple of weeks ago. I'm the third or fourth owner. Any way I can tell if this recall has been done on my truck? Also, since I'm not the original owner, how does this work? Can I just go in to any Ford dealership and have the work done?? Thanks!

-steev

WNY964x4

ASE Master Certified
Supporting Member
Firefighter
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
72-03
Make / Model
Chevy,Ford,BMW
Engine Size
alot of different ones
my teacher looked at mine today , he is a ford tech , has been for a looooonnnnngggg time , he said just routinely unplug the connector and check for fluid , he says there is no point in having it fixed until i see any fluid in the switch , and i do not understand the purpose of the switch , on mine , the stoplight switch deactivates the cruise , i only know because i drove home on the freeway one day , with no stoplight switch because a kid broke it , and when i hit the brakes with my cruise on to deactivate , it just kept going as it was before , the cruise stayed on until the brakes has been applied for quite a while , and on another note , my buddies 01 Edge 2wd 5 speed has this switch on the master cylinder , it is plugged in and everything , and his does not have cruise

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals