• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Making my 5x5 pattern a 5x4.5

stevenf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I am putting a GM 12 bolt on the rear of my BII but it is 5x5 bolt pattern. a friend of mine gave me his Mustang rotors to help convert it to disk brakes and the rotors are 5x4.5. With the rotors as a template, do you think I should drill out the holes or should I have a machine shop do it?

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
Have a machine shop do it.

What are you using for calipers and caliper brackets?

stevenf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
A friend of mine is upgrading his GT to Cobra brake system. Im getting his old 1995 calipers, brakes, and rotors. I plan on doing a D44 sas in the front and I want to have matching lug patterns. I know D44's tend to have 4.5" patterns.
Any idea on where I can find longer studs with longer sholders? I need the sholders to fit through the caliper and axle end.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Wow you got numbers backwards.

What's the 12 bolt out of? I believe the trucks to be 5 on 5.5 (2wd) or 6 on 5.5 (4x4)

A front D44 will be a 5 on 5.5. Only 5 on 4.5 is a 78-79 Ramcharger, or Jeep TJ Rubicon.

redneckracerx

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
first gens
Make / Model
Ford right?
Engine Size
anything but stock
Transmission
Manual
I can only assume this axle is coming out of a 2wd truck. If so, the brakes on a 12 bolt are more than adequate for a ranger up to about 35" tire. If it were me I would just get some 5x5 to 5x4.5 wheel adapters and call it done.

These adapters are actually becoming quite popular because of the new jeep bolt pattern. (5x5)

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92807_006.htm

stevenf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It is from a 2wd truck, its a 5x5 pattern.
I will be running the 12 bolt and D44 under an 89 Bronco II with 33's-35's.

redneckracerx

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
first gens
Make / Model
Ford right?
Engine Size
anything but stock
Transmission
Manual
Whats the B/P for the 44" if its 5x5.5 maybe you wanna use adapters that are 5x5 to 5x5.5? So the front and rear are the same.

stevenf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Off topic: But I cant get my axles off. It looks like the axles cant be pushed in enough to clear the walls around the c clips. Any tips?

stevenf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yes I alreayd pulled the cross pin. The axles just need to be pushed in a hair more but wont budge.

stevenf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It doesnt have the drum brakes on it. Mabey I should just use a hammer to move it the extra centimeter in on each side???

stevenf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I got the axles off. When I took the push pin out, that U shaped bracket on the inside of the diff was blocking the c clip, thus not allowing the axle to be pushed in. I really need glasses lol.
Now Im working on the differential. After you take the U joint girdles off, it looks like its supposed to just slide out. Not working.... Mabey its stuck from age and rust? Or is there more to it?

blackbronc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
89 BII retired
Make / Model
91 Xplodr Sport
Transmission
Manual
You shouldn't waste your time or money on the 2wd 12 bolt. Machine work or adapters will cost more than getting a 9" or 8.8" that will match with the front 5 on 5 1/2". Also the 2wd most likely will need the gears changed to match the front. The axle flanges probably don't have enough metal to drill the new pattern iinto either and should have the old holes plug welded and redrilled... more money. By the way that's how Currie does it unless you order billet axles. By far most Front d44s have 5 1/2" pattern with 5 or 6 lugs. The 4 1/2" is Dodge only and not all of them came with it either.

stevenf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ive heard the same thing countless times but what people dont realize is that all I have to pay for are the gears and mini spool (if I dont decide to weld). Everything else has been or will be given to me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals