• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

truck makes creakin noise when braking

funkingonutz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Manual
hello everyone, first off im not sure this goes here because i was'nt sure where to put, so ill say sorry ahead of time.Anyways i have a 1995 Ford Ranger XLT 3.0 5speed 4x4 (i dont know if all that was nessesary but whatever i like to be detailed)
ok so when im crusin along and decide its time to hit the brakes i hear this clunking noise, actually its like a creaking noise, i hear it right underneath my feet and feel it to, not alot, but its there . It sounds like its comming from the body or suspension, all i know is its not my shocks i just got new ones. One of my friends told me it could be the body mounts, i looked at them and they look to be in good shape. I think its something in the suspension but i am not sure. I dont know guys im stumped can anyone tell me what this creakin might be?

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Does it do it while hitting bumps in the road? It could very well be the radious arm bushings. They would be under load when braking. May want to check them for play. They are donut shaped rubber bushings on both sides of the truck. They are located about right under where your feet would be when driving. There is a beam that comes back from the axle and bolts to the crossmember. They are right there.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I would also say most probable its the radius arm bushings, but there are many other things that could cause a noise like that too (bodymounts is one of them).

To check the radius bushings, pry up and down on the arms next to the bushing with a large screwdriver or prybar. They shouldn't move more than about 1/8" or so in each direction.
It's common for the right (passenger) side bushing to fail first, being next to the hot catalytic converter.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
I would also say most probable its the radius arm bushings, but there are many other things that could cause a noise like that too (bodymounts is one of them).

To check the radius bushings, pry up and down on the arms next to the bushing with a large screwdriver or prybar. They shouldn't move more than about 1/8" or so in each direction.
It's common for the right (passenger) side bushing to fail first, being next to the hot catalytic converter.
There is supposed to be a metal cup thingy over the one on the passenger side to help protect it from the heat. Make sure you put it back on when you do the bushings... Assuming that is your problem.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals