• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AC belt issue

rmmarauder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I just purchased a 1989 Supercab and I'm trying to get the AC working. The truck had no belt, so this is the first step. I'm having trouble getting the right belt for this vehicle and I'm not having much luck.

The compressor is located top-side, just above cylinder 4. It's a Sanden Intl. SD-508, Model # U 9556. There's a 2 pulley clutch mounted on the compressor. The power steering pump is to the right and below this compressor. An idler pulley is directly below the AC compressor.

I measured the pulley length with a small chain at 49.25" in the groove. After blindly purchasing 2 different pulleys, I decided to measure and get the closest one. It's a 49.625", 10mm. It looks close, but I cannot get past the obvious and figure out how to move the compressor enough so I can try to get this thing on.

Where are the adjustments for this thing?

The power steering pump and alternator are on separate, individual pulleys. The ps pump rides a pulley groove directly below the inside groove of the AC compressor. The alternator is off on its own, on the other side. I'm assuming that this is the correct setup, but I'm not certain. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
It sounds from your description like it's an aftermarket AC installation. I don't think that OEM used Sanden compressors or v-belts.

Usually on an aftermarket system like you're describing, the idler pulley is loosened and used to adjust the belt tension, then retightened. See if this your case, then try buying a belt based on what you're measuring.

If you have a shop that installs aftermarket air close by, they may a better choice for parts, over a Ford dealership or regular parts store. Good luck with it.

rmmarauder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks. I had a feeling that this was an after market system. It has Ford R-12 and oil p/n's on it, so it was probably a dealer install. The idler directly beneath the compressor appears to be fixed, as does the compressor. There looks to be a couple pry marks on the compressor, so I'm guessing that there's a hard-to-get-to-bolt-spacer-adjustment that I need to loosen, I just haven't found it yet.

As for aftermarket AC places - there are tons of shops here in town, and the couple I talked to want an arm, leg, first-born, and 1/5 of my house just to look at it, and there are no guarantees, of course. I'll give it a college try and see how far I get. Worse comes to worse, I won't have the AC unit dragging down this "high-performance" engine.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Yeah, it's the busy season for AC shops, so they're trying to cash in while they can.

Keep looking at it; pretty much either the compressor (and sometimes part of the mounting bracketry) or the idler pulley is the means for belt adjustment. And some of them can be a real monkey puzzle, if not a rectal tonsillectomy to get a wrench on.

Aftermarket AC isn't that hard to work with; it's good that you have multiple shops around as likely parts sources should you do try to fix it yourself. Regardless, good luck with it!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals