• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

DTV Converter Box

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was helping my grandparents set up their new converter boxes last weekend and came across a major snag. Right now they get about 7 channels, four of which are major news channels, one is IPTV, and another is misc. I plugged the magic box in, it reveals they have 11% signal strength and can only pick up 4 channels, one of the original news channels (not the one they like of course) IPTV, and the misc channel with two of its spinnoffs that they never got before. They lost 3 of the favorites.

We tried turning the anntenea, and 11% is as good as it gets. The box recommended adjusting the anntenea or getting a "smart antennea" I wiki'ed this "smart antennea" and it seems to be able to detect which way the signal is coming from on it it's own. Major downside is that the plug in for this thing on the back of the converter looks like a huge telephone cord rather than coax, so we would have to run new wire from the antennea which is mounted on their roof.

Any ideas on how to get this thing to work without rewiring an expensive new antennea in? They want the same channels they had before, picture quality wasn't too hot but they were ok with that, they are on the backside of a hill so it probably never will be all that great anyway.

90rangersuper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
phone line will not carry D-tv signal, yo still need coax look on it, rg-6 will give you better quality than the thinner rg-59 cable, if you only pulling in 11% than thats it, you will need to get an antenna designed for UHF band since most of the d-tv channels say their like channel 7.1 but really 7.1 is UHF channel 35, you are looking for the most gain on the uhf band, also the higher the better ( up off the ground), look around, they do sell HDTV antenna's designed to work better in the UHF band

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I wishing there was a way to turn down the sensitivty of the box a little, the channels they did get came in better than my cable... and that was at 11%. Is there some sort of amplifier that would work to boost the signel just a widget?

They are about 80 miles from the the stations in Omaha, and on the backside of a hill so it will be tough to get much better with this equipment, I think I just need a little bit more to get the rest of them. The HD antennea's I have found are for 20 miles or closer, so they are slightly out of range.

They are not that techno savvy so switching from one antennea to another or anything technical like that probably won't work out well anyway.

They got their current antenne up there quite aways, it would be tougher to raise it and have it stay up in storms.

smokey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Transmission
Automatic
Winegard HD 7698P TV Antenna is the best antenna for fringe recetion areas. along with a good preamp they MAY be able to get more channels

aaron_ariens

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I have a little antenna, but mine is working okay. I do live in the middle of nowhere, but I was getting a fuzzy channel 13, now I'm getting 13 and 6 more channels, super clear. DTV is way better, and the box was like 10 bucks after the $40 coupon.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals