• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AC works only after 3 mins

joecrow

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hi all,
I have an AC problem I hope someone can help me figure out. The AC works fine, but only after the engine has been running for about 3 mins. It takes that long for the compressor to kick in. During the first 3 mins, the vents blow ambient temp air. After the compressor kicks in, the vents blow cold air. The AC system works great after that, except for having to wait. However if I stop the engine, sometimes it works immediately and other times I have to wait another 3 mins. There are times I arrive at my destination (sweating) by the time cold air starts blowing. I attached a gauge set to the system and noticed that the low side starts at @20 and slooowly climbs to @35 and then the compressor kicks in. I tried jumpering the plug on the low pressure switch, but it did not make the compressor kick in. Anyway, I have had this problem for a few months, but the "HOT Texas heat" is forcing me to fix it. And by "HOT Texas heat", I mean my wife. :woot: Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks.

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
i would try changing the low pressure switch i just replaced the one on my moms stang past 4 years the a/c didnt work... well i got a switch today that was 20 bucks an it works awesome now..

joecrow

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the reply. If you short the plug, does it make the compressor kick in? Mine doesn't. Just wondering.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sounds like the pressure in the system is slightly low, so it takes longer for it to build pressure.....

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
sounds like the pressure in the system is slightly low, so it takes longer for it to build pressure.....

How does it build pressure with the compressor unclutched?

I suspect the low-pressure switch as well; it's not closing until underhood temps warm it up (or perhaps vibration). It's easy to check with an ohmmeter; the switch should be closed with the engine off and stone cold.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How does it build pressure with the compressor unclutched?

I suspect the low-pressure switch as well; it's not closing until underhood temps warm it up (or perhaps vibration). It's easy to check with an ohmmeter; the switch should be closed with the engine off and stone cold.
what happens when gasses get hot......it could just be to the point where the pressure is low enough that engine heat bumps the pressure to the proper point, ive seen it happen....however un likely, i was just giving another suggestion to check aside from the obvious low pressure switch

joecrow

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
OK I'll check my pressures again and throw in a new low pressure switch. Thanks for the responses guys. I really appreciate it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals