• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

is this useful to us

pimtool

OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
******2.9L FAQ.....Read BEFORE posting****** Options

General 2.9L Info

Years Produced- 1986-1992
Engine Displacement (Cubic Inches)- 177
Fuel System- MPFI (Multiport Electronic Fuel Injection)
Cylinders-6
Arrangment of Cylinders- "V" Shape
BorexStroke- 3.66x2.83
Horsepower- 140@4600RPM
Torque- 170@2600RPM
Engine Family- "Colonge"
Oil Pressure- 20PSI@Warm Idle 55PSI@2000RPM
Spark Plug Gap- .44
Ignition Timing- 12* BTDC
Fireing Order- 1-4-2-5-3-6
Distributor Rotation- Clockwise

Cylinder Location-

Front of Vehicle
4 1
5 2
6 3

Oil Capacity- 5.0QT W/Filter Change
4.0QT W/O Filter Change

Cooling System Capacity (Quarts)- W/AC- 7.2
W/O AC 7.8

Known Issues-
Cylinder Head Cracking Caused usually by overheating the Engine, most common symptoms are clean spark plugs, white exhaust smoke when warm, low compression on one or more cylinders, and "snot" on the oil cap or dipstick. Sometimes the "Snot" can just be condensation, so make sure the Engine is warm before checking.
Best Course of Action Park the truck, Drain the oil, pull the heads, and have them magnafluxed to make sure you have a crack, if you do DO NOT RUN THE TRUCK, coolant in the oil toasts crankshaft bearings, requireing a total rebuild. If the truck isnt run to long than you can probely get away with just heads.

Ticking Lifters Sometimes mistaken for ticking fuel injectors. This condition isn't a cause for alarm unless it does it very loudly or after long freeway trips., if it does have the oil pressure checked, it could be low.

Valve Cover Gaskets Other than making the Engine look nasty and smell nasty, these pose no danger. Some claims have been made of the motor catching fire because so much oil leaked on the exhaust, but this is rare. Replace with Fel Pro "Rubber" or Fel Pro "Blue" and leaks should be taken care of.

History of the 2.9L
Introduced in Late 85 on the 86 Models, the 2.9L was a larger, more powerful, fuel injected replacement for the old 2.8L Engine. It was born into the "Colonge" family of Engines which include the 2.6L Mazda, the 2.8L Ford, and the 4.0L FordMazda Engines. The 2.9 never saw duty in anything other than the Ranger and BII. Aerostars went right to the 3.0 from the 2.8 and Explorers used the 4.0 when introduced in 91. The 2.9 Co-existed alongside the 3.0, the Engine which replaced it, untill 1992, when Ford introduced a "More Refined" Ranger, the 2.9 wasnt a refined engine like the 3.0 "Vulcan". It was rough, noisy, and crude. The 3.0 was none of these things so it replaced the 2.9 in 93, even with its meager low end torque (compared to the 2.9) it still is the only Small V6 offered in the Ranger, next to the Big Brother 4.0. The 4.0 is related to the 2.9L however, so in a way it still lives on. The 3.0 is in NO WAY related to the 2.9L V6 Engine.

Links to Threads of Interest

Towing with a 2.9L

What Spark plugs are right?

Classic case of Dead Ignition Module (TFI) syndrome

Dos and donts of building a 2.9L for performance

NOTE

This FAQ is work in progress. As the Forum grows and more info is added to the board, the FAQ will grow with it. Then, we'll have a very large weath of knowledge and problem solving abilty about the 2.9L V6 Engine, all in one place. Also, any problems with links drop me a PM. Thank you

This post has been edited by rusty ol ranger: Sep 1 2006, 09:13 AM

--------------------

87 Ranger XLT 2.9-TK5sp- Brought back from the dead- 10/08/06 11:32pm
01 Chrysler Town&Country 3.8L\Auto
04 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6L\Automatic
69 Dodge Charger 440 4BBL-4sp
77 LTD II 351W 2BBL\FMX Auto
78 Ford F350 400M 4BBL\NP435\2wd

"Boy somedays, you just cant cram it into second, even if ya double clutch it"-Cooter Davenport
"If I shake your hand, Look ya in the eye, you can bet your ass, it'll be the truth" -Eric Church "How bout' you?"

Yes I am a Redneck, and Yes, I'm DAMN proud of it!

Full Edit
Quick Edit
Michael A. K. Gross Mar 12 2007, 02:59 PM Post #2

Send Help Quick

Group: Banned
Member No.: 125
Vehicle Model: Exploder
Vehicle Year: 1991
2WD or 4WD: 4WD

QUOTE(rusty ol ranger @ Aug 9 2004, 10:22 AM)

General 2.9L Info

Years Produced- 1986-1992
Engine Displacement (Cubic Inches)- 177
Fuel System- MPFI (Multiport Electronic Fuel Injection)
Cylinders-6
Arrangment of Cylinders- "V" Shape
BorexStroke- 3.66x2.83
Horsepower- 140@4600RPM
Torque- 170@2600RPM
Engine Family- "Colonge"
Oil Pressure- 20PSI@Warm Idle 55PSI@2000RPM
Spark Plug Gap- .44
Ignition Timing- 12* BTDC
Fireing Order- 1-4-2-5-3-6
Distributor Rotation- Clockwise

Sorry, Dustin; gotta correct a few things here.

This is a 60 deg V6, not just a "V shape." 45 deg and 90 deg V's also exist (and probably a few exotic angles), though generally in V8 applications. 60 deg is kinda natural when designing a crank with only three crankpins.

Oil pressure spec is 40-60 PSI at 2000 RPM, fully warmed. There is no idle spec, nor any cold spec.

Ignition timing is 10 deg BTDC with the "SPOUT" shorting bar removed.

Spark plug gap is .044. .44 (= .440) is probably impossible with a stock spark plug.

Idle speed is 800 RPM (manual) or 900 RPM (automatic) and is NOT ADJUSTIBLE (despite the thing that looks like a throttle stop screw). Make sure you test it with the electrical accessories (especially A/C) turned off.

Injector banks split the firing order -- NOT the engine. They are 1,2,4 and 3,5,6.

And FYI, the early 4.0Ls were related (but NOT with many interchangeable parts) to the 2.9L, but the later 4.0Ls are quite different.

--------------------

Full Edit
Quick Edit
fastpakr Mar 12 2007, 03:02 PM Post #3

Habit, not addiction

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,246
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Explorer
2WD or 4WD: 4WD

A bit off topic, but VW's VR6 motors and the other related narrow bank engines (like the W16 in the Bugatti Veyron) run a 15* V angle. In the case of the VR6, this allows a single cylinder head on a V6.

Cologne is the correct spelling for the plant...

--------------------

I demand that I be given access to my own posts and account on this board. Given that my posts and account were stolen and placed here, I expect at least the ability to access them.

Full Edit
Quick Edit
« Next Oldest · 2.9L Engines · Next Newest »

1 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
1 Members: pimtool

Fast Reply

Enable email notification of replies | Enable Smilies | Enable Signature

pimtool

OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Auto to 5 speed, Easiest swap possible??? Options

Okay, I have read and read and then read some more on the auto to manual swap and I still have questions. I know there are a lot of manual trannys to choose from but choosing is the hard part, I think... Anyhow, I have a 90 b2 with a 2.9, manual t-case and a dying A4LD. One, it is boring, two, it shifts hard, and three, sometimes it doesn't shift at all! So, before it completely dies on me, I want to go 5 speed.

I know they put in TK5s, TK4s, FM145, FM146 and M5ODs. Only thing is, I don't know which one would be the easiest swap for my truck. I can probly find any of those trannys being that I am going to the "biggest j/y in the world" (also known as harrys u pull it in hazelton pa) So, picking the tranny is step number one. I want the easiest swap but I don't want it to last a month and die. I need OD for other Harrys runs in the future with a lot of highway driving! LOL! I don't know which trannys came in which trucks with what engines attached. I would also like to know what is the entire list I need to get for the swap. I'll probly just get a new flywheel, clutch and possibly a slave cylinder, but what else should I replace while in there??? Obviously fluids and seals.

So all that in a nut shell:
-which auto to manual swap is the easiest
-what exactly do I need off the truck I'm getting the tranny from

Thanks in advance!

I believe the M5OD is the same length as the A4LD, so drive shafts should be the same? Its also said to be the strongest, and after driving both the FM146 and M5OD the M5OD is much more "clunky" and "truck like" than the FM146, FWIW I prefer the M5OD.

--------------------

M5OD. Its the same length as the A4LD so you dont have to touch the drive shafts. You need the whole clutch setup (flywheel, pressure plate, friction disk, pilot bearing, throwout bearing) manual starter and block plate, tranny, shifter, boot, floor plate, clutch line, master, slave and pedals. You can swap computers if you like, but you will have to wire up the neutral switch and clutch switch. It will save you some gas though if you do. My suggestion is to swap in the pedals first so you can drive the truck around still, because that is the worst part and can take some time. Pulling the seats helps get under there. Once that is done you can do the rest in a few hours if you know what to do.

--------------------

Okay, so I'm looking for an Explorer with a 5 speed, then, basically, rip everything out having to do with the tranny???

hey, you say youv done the a4ld to 5speed swap in exploders? my a4ld in my 91 just went out and i want a manual, can you share some insite? i have little money but i have tools and a garage, about how much does this swap cost? are there any major obsticals you had to over come? please respond asap, im currently a student at wyotech just got my automotive degree and almost done with my diesel degree so i understand what needs to happen but id like to know all before i do this swap cause like i said my wife and i are broke, thanks for your help.

also know that you need an M5OD from behind a 4.0. that is the ONLY bellhousing pattern that will bolt to your 2.9.

--------------------

instead of tearing everything apart and pulling the whole pedal assembly bracket and all out, just remove the 3 or 4 bolts that hold the e-brake to the side of the truck and pull the rod out of the bracket. When I did my b2 i spent probably 4 hours removing everything bracket and all and putting it back together whereas in my ranger i just did like above and it took about 20 minutes. Just make sure you get all of the wiring out of the way and the clutch pedal and rod will slide right in

Hi
Any idea if trany swap would work on a 1992 4.0L EEWD, sooner or later I will have to replace the A4LD thats in my Aerostar.
thanks for any info
Gordon

Are you guys positive M5Od and A4LD are the same length? On several sources it appears the M5OD is an inch or so longer, someone mentioned to me they had to have their driveshaft shortened so it would fit ... and on the other hand, one piece driveshafts (98+) are the same length ... who's right?

Zorro, I think you're confusing 2WD with 4WD. The 2WD retrofit DOES require driveshaft work.

--------------------

Zorro, I think you're confusing 2WD with 4WD. The 2WD retrofit DOES require driveshaft work.

ok maybe I am. so which trany can I swap into a 4.0L AWD A4LD Aerostar 7 passenger minivan?
set me straight

I have done some research and found out that the manual trans that went into the 93 Aerostar was a M50D. Will a Dana T28 transfer case fit behind this transmission? Would I have to move the transmission cross-member? Has any one done this conversion to an Aerostar?

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Believe that has already been posted in the 2.9L forum and the transmission forum.

Thanks though!

06yellowranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I can see where that will be useful to someone with that particular engine or that's looking to do a tranny swap

pimtool

OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Believe that has already been posted in the 2.9L forum and the transmission forum.

Thanks though!
Yeah I just saw it. It seems I can get around alittle on trs.org

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals