• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Knocking when A/C is on

coolbrze

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2002 Ranger 4 cyl. 5 speed manual 2wd, truck in sig below... Anyways when I turn the A/C on I hear a knocking coming from somewhere inside the engine bay. Any idea what this knocking could be? I'm not sure if it's only when the A/C is on or if it's just louder when the A/C is on, but it's definitely heard, and slightly felt in the steering wheel. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

reginald fairfield

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter FF
Transmission
Manual
Mine does it too, and it is high mileage.. 140,000 +. I think it is the extra strain on the motor causes normal knocking to get worse.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
There is no "normal" knocking that can be felt in the steering wheel.

Get a stethoscope and figure out what is knocking, at idle. Then replace it.

CraigK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You might try this to help diagnose . . .

Try a tank (or a few gallon$ on am empty tank) of premium. If the knocking stops, it's likely preignition. Check timing and your antiknoock sensor. If you have one.

CraigK

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If it's preignition, his engine is dead.

If it's detonation (spark knock), a much faster way is just to listen to it. Detonation sounds like marbles in a tin can, and it is VERY often worse when the throttle is stomped. Preignition is a very different beast, and it's extremely serious and far rarer than some people think. And detonation isn't always cured by premium (e.g., if it's caused by oil use, premium + 10W-30 has much lower octane than regular).

If the knock is a regular tap, bang, or thump, it's not detonation. If it occurs at idle or lightly loaded, it's not detonation.

coolbrze

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've only got 48K on this truck so I wouldn't think it's due to high mileage. It's not something to do w/ the gas/fire (I wouldn't think) as it only does it when I'm driving and not when idle. It's like something is loose and is bumping around when I drive, not when I'm sitting still.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals