• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Emissions Test... High "NOX" causes?

EdgeKrusher4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
SO I Brought the Acura down for an emissions test and apparently since I've been gone to the military they started monitoring for NO2 or "NOX". I believe the Acura was failing on high NOX when they ended the test. I was thinking about what the possible causes for this would be... then a few weeks later I realized that the gas in the tank was very old. I am unsure of the condition of the Catalytic converter but the car runs great and has 91K on it. All 4 other gases are in spec and Check engine Light is not lit. Any ideas? Thanks!

Steve

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well the EGR is designed to reduce the peak combustion temp by diluting the air/fuel mix with exhaust gas--that directly reduces NOx. The Catalytic converter converts CO, HC and NOx into CO2, N2 and H2O. One of those 2 things could be it. And old fuel could be at the root. No piece of the system is an island.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You're in California. Did you pass the EGR functional test?

If timing is adjustible, you can get high NOx from advanced timing. But that should be on the test as well (along with idle speed).

One thing that won't be tested is a vacuum leak. That MIGHT trip a check engine light, but doesn't always.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Yup EGR or Cat

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It's an OBD-II vehicle. It has a cat monitor (downstream HEGO sensor). Unless the NOx failure was very slight, a weak cat will flip a code. If it WAS very slight, a replacement cat may fix it (for a while at least) even if the problem was elsewhere. It may or may not be cost effective; many 10+ year old cats aren't all that expensive.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals