• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

196? Allis chalmers ED40

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
today my cousin and I got bored and got a tractor that had been sitting on the edge of his property running. its an allis chalmers ED40, I don't know much about this particular tractor, I was wondering if anyone knows any info about it. It really is a great running tractor, and we really would like to work it instead of just letting it sit.

here is the short list of what I know:
Its a diesel tractor
its 37 hp
the electrical system is backwards (positive ground)

Here is what I need to know:
how many volts is the electrical system? (we think its 12 volts)
what is the recommended oil for this thing, in the engine and transmission?
is it possible to swap this thing to a negative ground system?
How is the hydraulic system for the 3 point hitch run?

Muddycowboy

GOT MUD?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
contact ColinRMitchell he's the AC man

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
http://www.tractordata.com/td/003/td3996.html

They were made in England, so they are not all that common in the states. They are supposed to be a pretty good tractor, but I have neither seen one in real life or talked face to face with anyone that has.

As for what oil to use, it would probably be a good thing to get a manual for it, I run 10W-30 Valvoline both in my A-C WD-45 and my C, but both are gas engines and made in this country so I imagine yours is different. Maybe a Agco dealership would have some insight on both this and how your hydraulics work. It will be tough though, Allis sold out in the mid 80's and has been clumped into a brand with many of their competitors, so it is kind of a crapshoot to find anyone who knows their stuff and is willing to dig up information.

Being a diesel it is probably 12v, the only thing at risk of damage is your lights if it indeed is 6v though, 6v starters are usually good for 12v, both my tractors have been running unaltered 6v starters for years.

It probably has a generator (as opposed to an alternator) which is why it is positive ground, if the generator charges I wouldn't mess with it. Given the uncommoness of the model I would even be temped to get it rebuilt rather than replace it with an alternator (which would reverse your battery terminals) Once you get the cables on right and learn to only put the ends on the posts that they fit you should be good.

Yesterday's Tractors is a great resource for these older tractors. (they sell both shop and operators manuals online there too) I have a nice book by Norm Swinfield on A-C's at my parents house, I bet there is some more info in it about your tractor.

http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/boards.cgi

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I looked them up in my book, they only imported a couple hundred (530 sticks in my mind) into the states for one year (1963 I believe) Needless to say, replacement parts are going to be a tad hard to find. If it was mine and I didn't want to fully restore it but I still wanted a tractor I would get as much working as cheaply as possible (tune up, get it running and driving good, forget the 3pt) and find a collector to sell it to, then buy a nice D-17 and invest the rest.

The reason they imported so few was they had problems breaking the bell-crank assembly for the three point. It is supposed to be similar in theory to that of the much more common CA if that helps any.

I was going to grab my book but I forgot it, so I am going off of memory here.

Have any pictures of it?

orangeman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey Holyford86: Any chance you guys know where there are any ED40'a lurking for sale or in junkyards up your way in Clinton County. I am down near Watertown and am trying to stitch together an old ED40.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and compensated.

Thanks Orangeman

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Agco has the ED40 in the partsbook on their website if that does you any good.

The two big salvage outfits we get our stuff from is Worthington Ag parts and Abiline Machine. Worthington doesn't show anything on their website which isn't always the most up to date and Abiline doesn't have such a thing I have found but it would be worth a call IMO.

The ED40 would be something completely different of course, but it is kind of surprising how much stuff Agco carries for the older A-C's.

Keep us posted, I am a bit of an A-C guy myself. :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

orangeman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Allis chalmers ED40

Hey 85_Ranger 4x4: Thanks for the tips on information on potential parts source. I have a whole rack of small Allis's the biggest I have is a D17 Series IV. I like the smaller ones since my crib is only 25 acres. Am growing Christmas trees here and veneer, so like the small footprint of the B,C, CA's and H-3 Crawlers.

I think the ED40 is really a nicely designed machine but is not well understood here in the US.

Other goodies are a Dynahoe and 1951 2 Ton Chevy Dump that was used to move small Cletrac;s around.

Hope your summer is going well. Thanks Again, Orangeman!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey 85_Ranger 4x4: Thanks for the tips on information on potential parts source. I have a whole rack of small Allis's the biggest I have is a D17 Series IV. I like the smaller ones since my crib is only 25 acres. Am growing Christmas trees here and veneer, so like the small footprint of the B,C, CA's and H-3 Crawlers.

I think the ED40 is really a nicely designed machine but is not well understood here in the US.

Other goodies are a Dynahoe and 1951 2 Ton Chevy Dump that was used to move small Cletrac;s around.

Hope your summer is going well. Thanks Again, Orangeman!
I would love to have a bigger one, but like you I really can't justify it. For what I do my '47 C, '46 JD B and the '53 WD-45 that my great grandfather bought new does everything I need to. Really though, aside from the mid mount sicklemower on the C the '45 could do everything I need to do (blade barn lots and driveway, shred, plow, disc...) It handles like the B if not better, but pulls like an A. The JD has the comfier cockpit though.

I don't know much about the ED40 really other than it is rare, I have never even seen a carcass of one.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals