• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tranny Removal

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
so im starting it now in a few minutes,:yahoo::stirthepot:
i will have the laptop next to me the whole time,
what tools do i need?
so far i got wrench set,
copper bar for the ratchet
blocks for engine/tranny support
anything else i need

maskeet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
do you have a manual of some sort for your truck?

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
not yet, it should be here in a month

maskeet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
nice

i love having mine it helps soo much

KELLY88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Agreed that they're helpful. Although you can pick them at just about any auto parts store.

Slingblade

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
For some odd reason, I have two. One stays in the truck and one stays in the garage, lol.

Chris

maskeet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
that works. soo no matter where u r u can fix her up!!

smokey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Transmission
Automatic
http://www.autozone.com/N,313601/initialAction,repairGuide/shopping/repairGuide.htm?pageId=0900c15280076ef0

a oneline manual for your truck it may help

NOTE: On Pickup and MPV models equipped with 4WD, the transmission and transfer case are removed as a unit.
Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Remove knobs from the transfer case shifter, if equipped, and the gear shifter.
Remove the shifter boot and floor console, if equipped.
If necessary, shift the transmission into N, then unbolt and remove the shift lever assembly. On Navajo models, the shift lever assembly must be removed from the control housing.
On Navajo, cover the opening in the control housing with a cloth to prevent dirt from falling into the unit.
Raise and safely support the vehicle.
Drain the transmission and, if equipped, transfer case fluid.
If necessary, remove transmission and transfer case, if equipped, splash shields.
Matchmark and remove the driveshaft(s). On MPV, stuff a rag in the double offset joint to prevent damage to the boot from the driveshaft.
Disconnect the speedometer cable from the transmission/transfer case housing and, if equipped, the Hi-Lo shift cable.
Label and disconnect any and all wiring harnesses at the transmission or transmission/transaxle assembly that are required to remove the transmission unit from the vehicle.
Remove the front exhaust pipe and heat shield.
Remove the starter motor.
If necessary, disconnect the parking brake return spring and parking brake cables.
On MPV models with the 2.6L engine, unbolt the support bracket from the transmission, if equipped.
On Pickup and MPV models, remove the clutch slave cylinder and hydraulic line bracket. It is not necessary to disconnect the hydraulic line. Support the slave cylinder aside.
On Navajo, disconnect the clutch hydraulic line at the clutch housing. Plug the lines.
Place a wood block on a service jack and position the jack under the engine oil pan. Position a transmission jack, under the transmission.
Remove the transmission-to-engine gusset plates, if equipped, and clutch housing cover.
On Navajo models, remove the transfer case from the vehicle.
Remove the nuts and bolts attaching the transmission mount and damper to the crossmember.
Remove the nuts and bolts attaching the crossmember to the frame side rails and remove the crossmember.
Lower the transmission to gain access to the top bolts and remove the transmission-to-engine bolts.
Pull the transmission straight back on the jack until the mainshaft clears the clutch. Lower the transmission and pull it out from under the vehicle.
To install:

Check that the mating surfaces of the clutch housing, engine rear and dowel holes are free of burrs, dirt and paint.
Place the transmission on the transmission jack. Position the transmission under the vehicle, then raise it into position. Align the input shaft splines with the clutch disc splines and work the transmission forward into the locating dowels.
Install the transmission-to-engine retaining bolts and washers. Tighten the retaining bolts to specifications. Remove the transmission jack.
Install the starter motor. Tighten the attaching nuts.
Raise the engine and install the rear crossmember, insulator and damper and attaching nuts and bolts. Tighten and torque the bolts to specification.
On 4WD vehicles, install the transfer case.
On 2WD vehicles, insert the driveshaft into the transmission extension housing and install the center bearing attaching nuts, washers and lockwashers. Connect the driveshaft to the rear axle drive flange.
Install the remaining components in the reverse order of removal.

Last edited:

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
thanks man that does help

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
Honestly I think I have skipped about half of those steps every time I have done that "procedure".

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals