• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1978 Pontiac Trans Am.

88ranger2.95sp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've had it for a while.

Not mine, but similar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y20xKlZxqUk&feature=related

OR...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSUBdsIcsXg

Except I'm not losing. Lol.

It needs floors. It needs paint. It needs alooot of bodywork. It almost seems not worth it. It's heeeavy... BUT,

1. It was $500.
2. It's a running, driving, pretty quick car already.
3. It's a timeless American Classic! (Smokey and the Bandit anyone?)
4. There's not many around anymore!

Any Pontiac Guys here (or any guys) who have ideas?

Obviously, strip interior, fix floors (can I just use thinner sheet metal, like 18 guage, or must I sacrifice $300 for stamped, fancy BS'y floors that noone will see), engine tuning, shit like that. Any lighter secrets to make me go faster/

Any input is appreciated.

Rob

Dangeranger3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
East bound and down, rock that t-a bud. T tops? Just make sure you have a kick ass moustache, action haircut (mullet, aka kentucky waterfall), and always keep your ears on :3gears::icon_thumby:

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i think u should give it to me:pray:

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I have always kinda liked 'em, they're cool with some flowmasters and T-Tops :icon_thumby:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I wish I had one, they are a very nice looking car. I would fix the rust as I could afford to, if the drivetrain gave me any issues I would swap to a Chevy drivetrain, that would probably be your biggest help in getting it faster too... ditching the smogged down 400.

For what you have in it and if it is in decent shape I would diffinatly fix it up, it will be hard to find a cheaper T/A, and if you go a Chevy drivetrain you will have a hard time finding anything cheaper/easier to hop up.

Have any pictures of your car?

88ranger2.95sp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know it's a boat anchor, but it's cool to me. It was the first car I ever did a standstill burnout in. It's got personal attachment.

No, not a T-tops. I wish it was though.

400's not too smogged down. It's got a Q-jet, and *very* restrictive exhaust manifolds with true duals and cherrybombs. First step after floors are primer, remove unnecessary bullshit, 90/10 shocks, and OPEN HEADERS!

No pictures, but strikingly similar to the youtube version. Except with 14" centerlines up front, and 15x8 chrome wheels off of a Blazer with 29x9.50 ET DRAG's. They still spin off of the launch. Rather it be the tires than the U-joints though..

Except mine's a very reddddish pink.. from lots of Texas sun!!

Will post pictures when I can figure out how to work the new camera.

Rob

hihoslvr

Banned
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'04
Make / Model
F.O.R.D.
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
East bound and down, rock that t-a bud. T tops? Just make sure you have a kick ass moustache, action haircut (mullet, aka kentucky waterfall), and always keep your ears on :3gears::icon_thumby:
Ya know I'm down with the "business up front, party in the back" haircut, but neither the Bandit nor the Snowman were rockin' one, now the 'ol lady (aka seat cover), mighta been...

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Goodmark and some other places have sheetmetal. If you can do the work yourself it'd be worth it.

88ranger2.95sp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
"business up front, party in the back"
I may grow one just for the track this summer.

Thanks for the floorpan suggestion. I'm gonna get right to it. I'm going to look at the car today (it's at one of my father's apartments in the ghetto) so I think that I'm gonna like pull a seat out today and pull the carpet on that side and see what I have to work with. The firewall's not rotted to shit, just the floorpans, and my dad said the tunnel. I think it's bullshit. Second thought, maybe I'll just bring a jack and stands...

If it's just floorpan rottage, I don't see why I can't use sheet metal pieces (my father is a sheet metal worker) and I can get cheap(er) parts from work. There's three ways I see of doing it:

1. Weld in brand new fancy floor pans, which noone will ever see. My father will be satisfied because it is the "right way".

2. Gut what's shitty, and build up with sheet metal accordingly, with undercoating/fiberglass used along the way. This is the preferred method on my part 'cause I actually WANT to race this summer.

3. Cut out what's bad, and weld giant panels over everything, literally sandwiching the shitty stuff inbetween. Probably not a good idea.

Suggestions?

Rob

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would do #1, but if it was mine it would be more of a cruiser than a race car. I would rather spend a little more time and do it right the first time than rush it and have to redo it again later.

Go ahead and get #3 out of your head now, that is just a bad idea.

Danger06Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986/2001
Make / Model
Ford/Mercury
Engine Size
4.0L/351M/2.5L
Transmission
Automatic
Just my $.02, but I'd fix the pans right, since they are a major structural component of the body, fix up what ever other body problems it has, and be glad it doesent have T-Tops if you want to run it hard, especially the Fisher tops they had in 78-81. Now, with the Pontiac 400, you can get a 467ci stroker kit for it, aluminum heads and intake, and you have a stronger block than a SBC. I mean, if you have the W72 400 in it, stock you have 220hp@4000rpm and 320lb/ft@2800rpm. The L78 400 only had 180hp. BUT, if you have the L80 Olds 403, have fun making power and and keeping it together. The 403 has "windowed" main webs and siamesed cylinders, and they tend to blow head gaskets when you raise the compression. Oh, and swap the 10 Bolt out for a 12 bolt Posi.

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Take some pictures so we can see what this thing looks like.

If you tried to get it as close to factory as you can, it would be worth something to someone wanting a great older classic muscle car (I note, not TRUELY muscular in stock form).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals