• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Having a problem using Radio

cr_the_machinist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I am getting a crap load of signal interference from my stock head unit. I'm guess it's picking up my ignition cause it only happens when the truck is running. Anyone know how to fix this? Do I have a faulty ground or something along those lines? I'm getting tired of just listening to CD's all the time.

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
When a customer comes in with a problem similar to yours, here is what I do. First I cut the factory ground wire, then I attach the end that plugs into the radio to the radio chassis. Then I run a ground wire from the chassis of the radio to a solid metal point on the truck.

Finally I check the ground from the neg batt to the chassis. Most of the time I install an additional short 8 gauge wire.

About 90% of the time this fixes the problem. The other 9% of the time, the antenna ground, where it mounts to the truck has become resistive. A simple cleaning works.

The other 1%, a radio problem. This has only happened to me 4 or 5 times in the last 10-years

Hope this helps

cr_the_machinist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Cool, thanks man! Thats kinda what I was thinkin from my expearience wiring up electric guitars but I'm no A/V expert by any means haha.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
did you check to make sure your antenna wire is plugged all the way in? sometimes the pin on the plug breaks off also.

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Cool, thanks man! Thats kinda what I was thinkin from my expearience wiring up electric guitars but I'm no A/V expert by any means haha.
I love guitars, started playing when I was 14, that was 34 years ago. I have a Rich Bich 10 string. I love it.

cr_the_machinist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Yep, I got the bug too!!! I'm a guitar Tech. at the local shop. I have my Kramer Tele and my '89 Peavey. Only have like ~5 years under my belt but I'm happy.... keeps me outta trouble haha.

human5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Also try checking your Spark Plug Wires. If they are low quality some times they give out interferance. But judging by the fact you say your truck is a 99 that shouldn't be a cause. If you can't fix it by what's been said, check that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals