• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Another rear speaker question

Red Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just bought a 2000 regular cab bare bones Ranger. It has an aftermarket radio/cd player in it. Since the FM side of it doesn't work, my wife bought a new radio for it. AM/FM/CD/hands free phone plus a jack for the mp3 player. I noticed that there are no rear speakers, but the grills are there. How hard will it be to have rear speakers installed? I'm going to take it to Best Buy (where the new radio was bought) to have it installed. I don't have the secret tool to remove the radio that's installed now. It doesn't take the (U) tool like the factory radio.

Thanks,

Red Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Found my answer in another thread while looking around the site. Looks like my best bet is to omit the idea of rear speakers and use good quality door speakers.

flyingbrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you want rear speakers all you'd have to do is buy them and install them with a set of speaker wires, which not hard at all to do maybe an hour or two.

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
to answer your question about removing the factory stereo, theres should be 2 screws holding the trim peice around the stereo. then the trim/stereo should slide out as one piece.

pf032562

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
New guy here

I have the same vehicle... no rear speakers installed but the space and grills are there. There are no wires in the speaker cavities, and I have no issue with running new wires, seems simple enough... My question however is I have a Ford radio, but its not the original... Specifically, its this radio...

http://replacementradios.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_31_130&products_id=49

http://cgi.ebay.com/FORD-F150--AM-FM-SINGLE-CD--PLAYER--CLEAN-1998-TO-2003_W0QQitemZ320351898011QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090321?IMSfp=TL090321175006r2351#ebayphotohosting

It has am/fm/cd w/ RDS and 4 speaker controls l/r and f/r. Since the radio has the rear speaker outputs, how would I connect the speaker wires that I would run anew to it, if there was no rear wires installed at the factory to the harness plug?

Last edited:

pf032562

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
BUMP... anyone? how do I hook up new wires to the radio if they did not exist in the harness but the radio has the 4 speaker output?

bmosso3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
if it has the 4 speaker output, then get a stock harness for any ranger that has 4 speakers. it should work with that radio. you might have to splice all the old wires onto the new harness, and your new wires, but i honestly think that you actually do have rear speaker wires in your harness, you just have to find them.

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
you mean the pinholes on the harness for the rear speakers dont have wires? your best bet would be to head to the junkyard and pull a harness that has the wires. you might be able to add to your harness but i dont know how.

pf032562

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
you mean the pinholes on the harness for the rear speakers dont have wires?
Well, I have yet to remove the radio to see, but I did remove the L/R speaker cover and dont see any wires in the cavity... I will look on both speaker cavities and down the centerline of the cabs rear interior panel, plus remove the radio to see if the wires are attached to the radio plug on the wire harness... but I just thought someone would have a definitive answer.

pf032562

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well... I pulled the radio, and the rear speaker wires are in the plug/harness, but I was unable to locate them in the back of the cab, either in the speaker cavity or under the floor. So I simply ran new wires. I just have to make the connections now and find a pair of speakers...

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well... I pulled the radio, and the rear speaker wires are in the plug/harness, but I was unable to locate them in the back of the cab, either in the speaker cavity or under the floor. So I simply ran new wires. I just have to make the connections now and find a pair of speakers...
I ran into that with adding a circuit to my fuse box. Found a spot that was hot for power windows and locks (mine wasn't equipped w/ that stuff) but disappeared somewhere in the harness. I guess I didn't have enough curiousity to figure it out, but seems common for a portion of something to be ran but incomplete.

The odd thing is my gauge panel has a RABS light, but when I went to wire up my new dash panel, the wire and pin were missing from the dash wiring harness. I guess consider yourself lucky on that one. :) Unfortunately for me, I drilled a hole for the indicator that actually wasn't there. I need to pay better attention.

Pete

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals