• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Flow 40 knock off?

nick112207

Reaction score
Anyone know of a muffler company that makes a knock off of the flow 40 but is still a good durable muffler? i like the sound of the 40 just trying to find a possible cheaper one

motocross

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i would say just go on ebay and try bid on 1 cheap but summit mufflers are pretty good

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I got mine at a local auto parts store. I would check all your local stores for them. I believe Jegs also carries them.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah I picked up a flow-tech muffler at the local auto store for like $22. Sounds pretty good for a 2.3. :D

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I would say its a rip off of a flowmaster. It's not a glass pack.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
What I bought was the Flowtech Raptor. I can't remember if it is a 2 of 3 chamber.

nick112207

Reaction score
Can you possibly think of a muffler that would give me the best rumble at idle and also when at speed ( going down the highway im running at 2 grand maybe 3 if the tranny downshifts going up a hill)? I've never reved it above 3000 and its very unlikely ill ever get it over 3500. idle is about 800 to 1000 rpm. I know the Flow 40 has a very good sound at idle but from what im hearing it gets kinda ricey on these trucks in the higher rpms. of course i may never hit those ricey areas. Also its a 95 4.0 which i've also heard the older 4.0's sound better than the newer ones which is what im seeing alot of the flow 40's on. I may not actually fall in the older catagory though

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Dude, apparently you've forgotten you have a v6... Nothing will make it rumble at all rpms, just not enough growling hamsters under the hood! The most rumble from anything will be a flowmaster 40 with absolutely no pipe after it, I used to set off car alarms by gently backing out of parking spaces or cruising by parked cars, but be careful what you wish for, it'll shake the filings right outta your head after a while! Heres what mine sounds like now, flowmaster 40 with a before tire exit and 2 1/2" pipe with a 3" tip, and no cat (shh dont tell anyone)...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=1mFgxBSVxT4

nick112207

Reaction score
i know im not gonna get a rumble in all the rpms. i just meant the best rumble that i can achieve with the lower rpms that i run. and that flow 40 does sound good for a 2.9

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
You could also try a Thrush welded muffler. I just put one on my ranger, it's just as heavy duty as the flowmaster 40 on my explorer. It's a 2-chamber muffler. BTW, it sounds great, even on a 2.3, not ricey at all. You can buy them at www.rockauto.com (you have to search by part number) for about $23.00 a piece.

To get the part number for the muffler you want, look it up at www.thrushexhaust.com

Hope that helps. Like I said, I'm very pleased with the one I bought.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals