• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Design/troubleshooting?

coolshmo

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, all. I just finished (re)installing a new deck/amp after everything got stolen a year ago. It's been pretty rough without music. Anyhow, here's my setup:

1x Rockford Fosgate T600-4 600w, 4channel
4x Pioneer Revs (60w nominal 240w max)
1x Dual XHD6425 head unit

I want to throw a sub into the mix. I used to have an RF Punch HE2 dvc 12" sub in the back. It was 400/800w 4ohm. The amp I used to have was also RF, 600w, 4 channel, etc... so I pretty much have the same setup now as I did before. Anyhow, I'm planning on getting another sub in due time, but I'm wondering how it should all be set up/how big of a sub I should have to go with the speakers. I'm pretty certain that it might have been the wrong setup, though it never gave me troubles or anything except for one of the gain knobs having problems, and I think that was due to the amp being refurbished from ebay. Basically, I had 1 channel per speaker, and then bridged each voice coil from the sub over the front/rear. I think that comes to ~1ohm for the amp. Either way, it sounded great, and if I was really hungry, I had a perfect place to fry an egg or two.

Anyhow, that brings me to my problems. All the wiring is about 6 years old, and I noticed the speaker wires looked a bit oxidized when I hooked them up. I'm getting a fair amount of buzz when the volume is low, as well as a good amount of alternator whine when the engine is on. I understand that stuff is usually caused by a not-so-good ground? I'm just looking for things to check. I also found out that I had 8awg wire for the power and ground, and everything I can find says I should be using 4awg. I'm thinking about re-doing that, but I'm curious about the drawbacks to all these things. I don't know enough about all this stuff, and my buddy designed/installed the whole thing, and I'm beginning to think that he didn't really know what he was doing either.

Sorry for the essay. The internets have a lot of information, but sometimes it's tough to find answers to specific questions :\

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals