• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford dana 60

Stranger ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
the 78, 79 ford dana 60s and the 85 to 91.5 dana 60s are exactly the same except for the fact the the spring perches are 5-1/2 inches farther apart on the newer styles.

My question is, is the axle longer, or what? How or why did they move the passenger side perch that much with out moving the driver side one, which is obviously part of the pumkin.

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I believe the axle width is the same, or very close, they just moved the pumpkin further to the driver's side. I'm also pretty sure that the frame was narrower on the 78-79 F350's, and thus the perches were located accordingly.

Stranger ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
so whats stoping someone from moving the passenger side perch over 5-1/2 inches to make a newer 60 have the same dimensions as the older ones..

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well if you moved the passenger side 5 1/2", then you would have to move the driver's side the same amount or the axle wouldn't be centered under the truck. The passenger side is easy to move, but the driver's side leaf perch is cast into the pumpkin, so the pumpkin would have to move too. To move the pumpkin closer to the center, you would have to grind off the inner c's and the plug weld's on the pumkin, press out the DS axle tube, and then use a longer piece of tube. You'd also have to shorten the passenger side if you wanted to end up with the same width.

It's really pretty pointless IMO to fool around with the driver's side. I bet you can do leafs on a ranger with the stock perch locations. You can also get a coil bucket and radius arm/link system mounted on the DS without too much hassle.

What are you trying to do?

cbluepit

September OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i had the 1978 dana 60 in my ranger and just made custom mounts for the leafs which were located to the outside of the frame . the 78 ,79 axles the pumpkin is more towards the center . which i think make the drivers side axle shaft longer and the passenger side shorter and is also more ranger friendly for drive shaft alignment . they also have king pins rather than ball joints. if you move the spring mount 5 1/2 inches in it will be on top of the pumpkin cause the 80's models and up the pumpkin is further towards the driver side . hope this helps

this is the same mount but different front axle

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals