• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How Hard Is This?

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
So Friday/Saturday Im Removing My Bed From My Truck, How Hard Is This For A 13 Year Old?
Ive heard it isnt too hard, Ill have some power tools with me also:headbang:

Jeff

superrocker10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 (soon to be 5.0)
Transmission
Manual
So Friday/Saturday Im Removing My Bed From My Truck, How Hard Is This For A 13 Year Old?
Ive heard it isnt too hard, Ill have some power tools with me also:headbang:

Jeff
its easy. 6 bed bolts, lots of WD-40, and i think three of four bolts on the fillerneck. had to do it a couple times for a fuel pump

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
3 bolts hold the filler neck. One or two plugs for the taillights. That's the easy stuff.

The 6 bed bolts may come easy or hard. Depends on rust mainly. I took the bed off an 89 Ranger awhile back. Used lots of PB Blaster, WD-40, and some special liquid wrench stuff that's supposedly better than PB Blaster. Two came out peacefully and pretty easy by hand. I was encouraged. Next one took my 500ft/lb impact and some forward-reverse wiggling. The next one I was able to get to move took a breaker bar with a 3' cheater pipe to break free and a lot of work with the impact to remove. The other two took some forehead-vein-popping force and the aforementioned breaker bar to snap the MOFO off.

For me, it also required the use of two cans of liquid refreshment/motivator, but you're not old enough for that, lol.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
yea i know the filler neck is no prob, i replaced that the other day due to a brand new custom gas tank!

Jeff

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
And where can i get this PB Blaster that people are always talking about?
sounds like it really works on rust buckets like mine?

Born24wheel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
When worse comes to worse, theres always power tools for the unfriendly bed bolts. A friend might also be needed to lift the bed off, unless a crane would be involved.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Well What i planned on doing was Jacking it up on 4 corners with a hydraulic jack and then jus taking the truck out from in under it..

Jeff

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
and if them bolts dont act so friendly Ill just have to go to my cabin and get my grinder.

JohnPi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Just get a friend or two to help you move the bed off of the truck. The hardest part (and it really isn't that hard) is lifting it over the bumper. If you have something like a picnic table handy, you can just slide the bed back onto that, and slide it back to the frame when you're done.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I Think I Am..Muahahaha;missingteeth;:headbang:
13 is not old enough.:stop: Drink Pepsi.

And where can i get this PB Blaster that people are always talking about?
sounds like it really works on rust buckets like mine?
Auto parts stores and hardware stores. I'm not entirely convinced that it's the best thing since sliced bread as many would have you believe. I use it often because I get it cheap, but more recently I've been experimenting with some Liquid Wrench stuff that's supposed to be specially engineered for penetration. The jury is still out on which works better, I've had mixed results with both along with the old standby, WD-40. All three burn quite readily though, so if you intend to use any heat to help things along, I would advise against using such spray lubricants.

I also do not buy into the foam cup thing that is pushed strongly on the side of the can of PB Blaster. I just do not see how the ability to melt a foam cup in seconds as opposed to other such products not being able to do that is any benefit to loosening a bolt rusted into a spherical blob and last tightened 20 years ago.

When worse comes to worse, theres always power tools for the unfriendly bed bolts. A friend might also be needed to lift the bed off, unless a crane would be involved.
Yes, your options are to have someone else help you lift the bed off, or to lift the bed up using 4x4 timbers and something to perch the ends on (such as sawhorses) to lift the bed up far enough to pull the truck out from underneith. Or in my case, I just grabbed the bed by the tailgate and lifted it up onto the remains of the rear bumper, then grabbed the front and wiggled it back a lil before giving it a good heave and standing it up on the tailgate. A lil push sent it crashing over where I promptly pulled out ol smokey and went to work.:icon_welder:

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you have a good impact the bolts will be no problem. You'll most likely break your torx head. Make sure you get a spare. Good Luck

WD-40 is a better hand cleaner than lubricant. IMO.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Haha, Well I dont have a rear bumer, I took it off for some modifying and never really put it back on, but we do have a ramp thing with a flat top about the level of the bed, ill try to slide it back on that, how heavy do you think it is? im 110-115lb and i can pull my own weight no trouble

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals