• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Badass Ranger Help

rordfanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Alright so i have a 99 4x4 xlt ford ranger dual gibson exaust thats all, i was always wanting to lift it and put on some 33s but my buddy just got a 95 v6 camaro and its pretty fast for a v6, kinda upsets me that he can blow by me, just wondering what i can do on a 1000 dollar budget to increase my trucks power and accelatration, i no longer want to lift my truck i want to make it roar, so far all i have looked at is Generation II FIPK..this puppy here http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=57-2527 would headers be a good purchase also? or a chip?

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
What engine size do you have? What size of tire? Is your truck 5spd? A five speed makes a big difference. Also look into a gear change. Moving your gears to a lower numerically higher gear will give your engine more leverage over you tires. 4.10's are nice. Don't waste your time on those K&N sets. They are $200 garbage. You're better off getting a drop in. Your stock set up flows more air than what your engine could use. Headers really don't make to much difference except with sound.

odie1969

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l sohc
Transmission
Automatic
if you want more power and torqur then I would pull that motor and sell as many parts u have and do a v8 conv. hopefully with the thousand and money u make off parts you will be in budget.

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
Go for the 4.0 or do a body lift for $180 (if you buy the kit) and drop in a 5.0L (or actually the 302 CI wich is more like a 4.9L when converted) You can find 4.0L engines from explorers pretty commonly on craigslist (I'm not allowd to give the actuall link anymore...) and 4.10's would help greatly (depending on tire size)

Just make sure you check the laws in your state for an engine swap. I know that in a lot of places the engine has to be from a newer vehical then the one it's going into.

In deed a 5speed helps, but for those of us with auto trannys a high stall torque converter can help (once again, depending on the engine)

I'm going to drop a 5.0L in my 2000 and before I bolt up the new tranny I'll swap to a higher stall TC. EatMyShift specializes in engine and tranny parts. They have a good Ford selection.

I'd send ya the links but there's another thread about how we're not suppose to...

Adam

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
don't bother with the FIPK unless you you find one for really cheap. I would go for a Tuner from Bamachips.com, headers, that should keep you in your budget, but won't make you beat that camaro.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Stall convertors are really not a big power booster unless you swap in a cam that compliments the stall.:no2:

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I also totally forgot to check his profile he already has a 4.0.

rordfanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
damn, lol i guess rangers just werent built to haul ass, but yeah now that ive read some responses i may say screw that K & N and just go for changing my gears, i dont know how to do that myself or if its even a garage job, is it possible to take it to a tranny shop and just tell them what i want done, or are they going to charge an arm and leg for labor?

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
Stall convertors are really not a big power booster unless you swap in a cam that compliments the stall.:no2:

Good point. My bad.

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
it is called sugar...cost less then a buck...poor it in his gas tank and call it good......but ya...ranger is not made to hall ass it is made to hall the ass home as he passed you and the you see him the back of a cruser and you need to bail him out

dont race unless it is at a track

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
Didn't the Myth Busters do a show about pouring things in people's gas tanks?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It will be hard to beat a sleek sports car with a brick. I used to have a 200 hp Plymouth Laser RS, I can say it would hands down hand it to my 260 hp F-150. Pure and simple it was built to compete in an arena my F-150 was not, your Ranger is much more like my F-150 than either my Laser or that Camaro.

$200-$300 per axle should cover labor for regearing, probably about the same for parts. I think my brother said shop rate was about 7 hours to rebuild a rear axle so that would be about the worst case scenario + parts.

There is a nice track across the river that you can race all night for $15-$20 if you have the itch. They have both 1/8th mile and a road track, the later would be interesting in a 4x4 Ranger.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
I say lift it, change your gears and have fun, because your truck's not gonna beat that camaro. Or sell it and buy a mustang.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah a 5.0 mustang.:yahoo: That would whip that V-6! The ones from 88-93 are pretty sweet. Yeah a ranger isn't made to race, mine is a 2.3 and I think it gets up and goes( with 4.10 gearing) for a truck. But a car would kick my but. If I want to go fast I'll borrow my buddies v-8 IROC :)

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
since this thread has gotten completely off track i hope that you arent talking about one of the 175hp 4000lb 305 irocs, they mite as well be a pickup truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals