• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Experts help me troubleshoot

kozanbmw

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I just picked up a 89 ford ranger manual tranny. Before I purchased it got new tires, alternator, starter and battery. Since i got it I did oil change, fixed a leaky differential and changed out the tranny fluid. It was the tranny with the square bolted on plate so i assume its the FM146 tranny. When I emptied fluid it had ATF in it, although this tranny is supposed to get a gear oil. I switched it out and it ran fine, but then it went back to how it used to be.

THe symtpoms are as follows. When the engine is off I can shift in to any gear perfectly, when I turn it on and its cold it is extremely hard to get in to gear. If i do manage to get it in to gear, and I release the brake while keeping the clutch down the vehicle will start moving forward as if it was very partially engaged. It does seem once it gets warmer its easier to shift. It makes a loud clunk sound when it shifts as well, that does not sound healthy. I sold my 05 pontiac and was planning to just drive this vehicle, but now I cant drive it for fear of causing mroe damage.

DOes anyone have any suggestions to help me solve my problem?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Look for leaks in the clutch hydraulics.

If there aren't any, replace the clutch pilot bearing (and the clutch).

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Yes, it sounds like the clutch is not disengaging all the way or a bad pilot bearing. Another cause of that is the master cylinder. It can leak internally and you will not see any hydraulic fluid on the outside.

You could also have air have air in the clutch hydraulics. A good bleeding can resolve that. If air is in the master cylinder, it is more difficult to get the air out.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If there is air in the hydraulics, that confirms a leak, unless the hydraulics have been opened recently.

Bleeding is not a repair. It's part of a repair.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
It could also be the slave cylinder.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Yes the slave is a very possible problem. Mine blew a seal and quit working properly making it hard to get it into gear.

kozanbmw

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Update, this may help troubleshoot. I turned it off today, and it made a loud clunk and now it is stuck in gear, the tranny feels like it is in nuetral, and its impossible to get into first or third. However, when I start the truck, it moves forward and if I step on the gas it moves as if it were locked in first gear. If i stop moving it will stall. So it seems to be that it is locked in first geat and will not shift out. I am thinkin I might just buy a new tranny unless you guys know what it might be after this little bit of info. Any tips this is really frustrating. I dont wanna throw money at a bunch of different things until I have a more clear idea.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
So the transmission feels like it's in neutral, but it isn't?

Either you have multiple problems (floppy stick plus hosed clutch), or your transmission just puked.

Either way it's coming out. Take the top cover off and look at its condition. Be prepared for the worst.

kozanbmw

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Im going to take thr tranny out tonight, if it doesnt rain, but from what I can tell I think the clutch might be shot. IF the tranny doesnt have chunks of metal it shoudl be fine, but being unable to shift into any gear in nuetral does concern me, but if the clutch wont release it would kinda make sense I guess. ANy good brands or types of clutchs to order for this vehicle?

kozanbmw

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Well just replaced clutch, then realized the tranny is shot, so replaced that, now I am having trouble bleeding it, the clutch pedal is super lose and i think there is alot of air in the system. Also I noticed my slave wiggled, does it need to be tightened or is that just how it is??? i will also post a new thread with a proper title to this problem after i search around for some answers.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
One suggestion is to replace the 2.9 clutch with the 4.0 one.

http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/May06/40_clutch_swap.htm

I'd also say just replace anything on the hydraulic system that looks badly worn or appears to be leaking. Give it a good bleeding.

Other than this my only other suggestion is to swap to a 4.0's M501 tranny. This will take care of a lot of problems.:)

kozanbmw

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
If the slave is loose does that mean it would be leaking air? Or does it just fit loose?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
On a 2.9L? It just fits loose.

It's always in contact with the pressure plate, so it will stay put.

kozanbmw

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Ok that answers that question, I just tried a gravity bleed and it went thru alot of fluid but didnt work, this is angering me, it start up and when i try to switch gears it doesnt go in, but i can feel the car trys to inch forward slowly. Is there any way to check if its the master without replacing it?

methmonster420

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
just junk that piece of sh*t and quit fluckin around with it go to the junkyard and get a used one

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals