• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

aftermarket 2.25 inch flow master from cat back, should i have went 2.5 inch?

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
hey, so i just put a 2.25 inch exhaust system on my 4L V6 ranger, from the cat back. single inlet, and single outlet. im wondering if 2.5 inch would of gave me any more power or feul economy, or it 2.25 was just fine.

i was also wondering about putter a different cat on it? some friend told me about high flow cats? could some expand on that? what is it/where to go..that kinda stuff?

thanks

85b2chopper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L of fury
Transmission
Automatic
are there any other mods on the truck? if it's close to stock that sould be good, too big and you can actually end up loosing power, also a "smaller" exhaust will be better for torque so i say 2.25" should be good.

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
noo the exhaust is the only modification on it so far...might put a cold air intake in it?? would that help in any way? but other than that, not really looking to do much more with performance wise

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
so i have a dilema in my mind...

my friend just brought in a 94 or so nissan pickup..3.0L V6, got a cold air intake and a flowmaster exhaust system. i think its 2.25 inch piping from the cat back (single) to the muffler, dont know what muffler it is, and then dual outlet of 2.25, and the dual outlets go behind the wheel like the stock on does on both sides.

i on the other hand put a flowmaster system on my 03 V6 4L ranger. NO COLD AIR INTAKE (if that makes a difference). I AM ALSO running 2.25 inch pipe from cat back (single) to the muffler (super 40 delta i think), and then single 2.25 inch outlet infront of the wheel, soo like where the cab meets the bed..

MY QUESTION! why does the nissan sound more muffled, musclely, louder, sounds like it has more grunt to it at a lower RPM? his sounds soo nice at like 2-3, while mine sounds good, not as loud and "manly" if you will as his?

whats up?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
MY QUESTION! why does the nissan sound more muffled, musclely, louder, sounds like it has more grunt to it at a lower RPM? his sounds soo nice at like 2-3, while mine sounds good, not as loud and "manly" if you will as his?

whats up?
It could be the way the exhaust is bent, a difference in style between the cats in his truck and yours. The two engines are going to be completely different with different exhaust manifolds, he has duals you don't... there is a bunch of differences.

Also, for the record I have never heard two trucks that sound exactly the same anyway, even the two identical trucks with the same exhaust will sound different from each other.

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have 2.5" from the cat back on my 2.3 and it runs great! Just my $.02

Allen

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I also have a 2.5-inch on my 2.3 from the cat back. It loves that size, so I would think a 4.0 would like something atleast that size

My 10-cents

addiman09

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.3 Liter DOHC 5spd
Transmission
Manual
cold air intakes do that whenever in the low rpms, they sound beastly, a buddy of mine had a 95 maxima, and whenever he took off he sounded like a bat out of hell, then it quieted down

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for this help guys! but me and my friend that put the exhaust system in were just thinking about throwing a glasspack, 2.5 straight off the cat and then nothing else...what do you all think about that? i hear they are pretty cheap...would they do gas milage justice? HP? SOUND!?

cause i just gained 1 mpg with my flowmaster that i put on, up to 20mpg now..but if these glasspacks are cheap, i might try one out.

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU ALL THINK!!?!

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
As far as the 2.25 VS the 2.5 goes, there will be no noticeable difference between the 2 with these engines other than sound, the larger pipe will sound deeper.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals