• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Power to Manual Steering

james_joshua

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just a quick question. I had an idea and wondered how logical it woluld be. How hard would it be to con vert my 93 with power steering to manual steering. I know that I would have to get the box and a new pitman arm but can it be done?

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
No reason that it couldn't.....

I dont know of anything else that you would need other than the box and pitman arm which would likely come with teh box from the junkyard.

BARanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
when i which from manual to power i had to change the steering itermediate shaft the one on the manual gear box was smaller that on the power gear box same legth but the splines are different.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Sure it can be done. But it's NOT a good idea.

Parking lots are going to be "fun." And if you ever take it on the trail, you're risking injury.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
If your truck is stock it will work ok, if you get a manual steering gear. My dad's Dodge 50 with a 2.4L has no power steering and it's not bad. Works even better offroad because there is less resistance with dirt, slippery mud, and gravel than with pavement.

When you go up to larger tires and a locked axle it's just about impossible to turn without PS. I have a few friends who have had their PS go out on the trail and I felt sorry for them.

james_joshua

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It was just an interesting thought that crossed my mind. I probably will stick with the power, even though there is a ton of play between the pump and the steering wheel.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Umm, there is NO connection between the pump and the steering wheel.

james_joshua

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yea, I am not really sure on the steering system. I have never had to work on that system before. The steering shaft has a lot of play in it, with the wheel locked and weight on the tires I can rotate the shaft more than what I think is normal.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I forgot to mention that I would not recommend removing the power steering system. A well-maintained RBV power steering system is very reliable, even when you throw suspension lifts, locked axles, and big tires at it. It can also be fixed cheaply with junkyard parts.

If you have slop, play, etc. in your steering system, chances are the problem is not power steering related.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
in hook the power steering pump to gear box hydraulic lines and then plug them up or remove the power steering pump belt.

Roadkill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
7.3l turbo
Transmission
Automatic
Yea, I am not really sure on the steering system. I have never had to work on that system before. The steering shaft has a lot of play in it, with the wheel locked and weight on the tires I can rotate the shaft more than what I think is normal.

I know in transports we can have a maximum of 10* of free play in the steering. I would think any more than that in a car or pickup means you have some work joints or gears happening.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
in hook the power steering pump to gear box hydraulic lines and then plug them up or remove the power steering pump belt.
Working against a hydraulic plug when attempting to turn the vehicle doesn't sound like a good idea.

Ford gears are known to pump fluid out the return line when turning the steering wheel.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual

You have to remove the belt. The pump would burn up and sieze if you were to disconnect the lines and continue turning it.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Haha, I've witnessed a seized power steering pump before, NOT COOL.

Not having power steering also sucks.

Lift the front end up and look for slop in the drag link from the pitman arm, inner/outer tie rod ends (physically grab the wheels and move them back and forth as they would if you were turning). If you turn the steering wheel slightly, and only one wheel responds, that's also a dead give away of worn out steering linkage parts.

Pete

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals