• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Where's my rear speaker wires???

rmcrae

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My 2002 2WD truck came with just the standard am/fm stereo and door speakers. I want to install a new aftermarket cd player, and while checking the rear speaker enclosure I did not find any wiring tucked in or around it -- does anyone know if the rear speaker wiring runs from the dash to the back of the cab somewhere whether or not you have rear speakers from the factory? The harness at the radio connector itself contains all the pairs for 4 speakers -- so where did they terminate them?

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
they might be under your carpet/vinyl floor mat. or possibly behind the back panel where the enlosures for the rear speakers.

rmcrae

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I looked along the rear cab wall behind the speaker enclosures, and under the mat as far as I could go without pulling the seats. I pulled both kick panels in the front too. Really has me baffled!

Black'03LevelII

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
check under the sill plates on both sides of the truck, they should have four snap clips that hold them down. I had mine out the other while cleaning the carpet and remember seeing wires. don't remember what was there though. is your truck and extended cab or standard cab? I could double check my wiring and see what I can find, although I do have an extended with the suicide rear doors (I think they call a quad cab or somethin')

rmcrae

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
my truck is the very basic model -- standard cab. i've pulled the plastic sill plates too (mine are screwed down).....nothing. i pulled the windshield pillar trim too thinkin maybe they went overhead for some reason. i can see that the audio harness goes from the radio up to the left and over the instrument cluster, but without pulling all that out I can't seem to come up with the other end where it all splits off to the front and back.

human5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They don't come with rear speaker wires. You'll have to do that yourself. It's not complicated at all, I bought 20 ft of speaker wire at BestBuy and still had about 5 or 8 feet of wire left. The way I routed the wires were through the bottom of the dash (under steering column and under glove box) through the kick pannels, under the door jam seals (inside the cab), in the seatbelt housing (under the seatbelt) and too the rear speakers. If I remember correctly it took me all of 20 min. to do.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
If you really want rear speakers, then I would do what human5 did and run new wiring to them. But I honestly wouldn't even bother installing rear speakers. They are in the worst possible location on a regular cab and you won't even hear them. They aim straight into the back seat, which completely muffles them. It's like screaming into a pillow. I would instead spend the money for high quality front speakers and just run those. It'll sound great.

Black'03LevelII

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
+1 on what exbass said. most competition systems are set up so the back supplies a little bit of rear fill. 90% of your music should come from the front anyways, just invest in a high quality set for the fronts and run with it!.

human5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I got rear speakers and it is kind of pointless. You really won't notice them much.

rmcrae

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks everyone for your help. After really looking at the whole situation, I see what you mean about the rear speakers driving into the back of the seats and likely not going to give me what I'm looking for. I like the idea of upgrading the fronts and going with those alone.
Thanks again everybody!!

mouse1977

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
just fyi truk most likey don't have any wire's ran to the back.. the stock 2chanal am/fm don't have them your best off run the front's with a aftter market head and run the your self.. but if your going to do that you well hardly here them. do to the fact that the way the speacker sit be hind the seat. your best bet wood bet to put a sub box back there 1 sub wood be good a singel 10in sub witha 250w amp but's for a little thump.. 2 fornt's and one sub well sound real good.... GL

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals