• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

leaf springs

Booncha57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I am in the process of returning my ranger to stock height from being lowered. I raised the front up yesterday and today I attempted to do the rear. I bought the truck lowered so I'm not sure if it was all done "right" or not (whatever that means). How do I go about doing this properly? I jacked i up by the rear-end, then after I removed those u-bolt clamp things, do I want to lower the rear end and put jack-stands on the frame or something? I'll add that the springs are above the axle, does that mean it had a flip kit? If so, do I need something else to put this together like it was originally or can I just flip it over? Looking at the spring I can see that I'm not going to be able to get the rear bolt out, unless you can take the front one out first and you can somehow move the back around. Maybe you have to take the hanger/bracket off too? Once I get the nut off, the bolt will not clear part of the frame I guess is what it is. Like the nut was put on the wrong side or something, but I don't see how it was put in unless that bracket/hanger thing can be moved or taken off. Sorry this is so long, I'm just disappointed that I couldn't finish the job today.

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
The shackles could have been flipped... If the springs are above the axle, then it is stock. A flip kit would have put the axle on top of the springs and would not be stock.

Check on the shackles. The best way to tell is to look at the hangar that the shackle is bolted to. If the hangar is BOLTED to the frame, then it was changed at one time, if it is RIVETED to the frame then it was never touched.

Pictures of your problem would help us figure it out in a pinch too!

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
It does sound like the shackle bracket was flipped on the frame, or some other bracket was put in it's place, because the bolt holding the shackle to the mount should be just that, a bolt. The nut has a flange on it, and is captured by the frame, so you shouldn't even have to do anything to the nut to get the bolt out. As far as the shackle to spring bolt, it does come in from the frame side, with the nut on the outside, but there should be barely enough room to slide the bolt out with the shackle pointing straight down.

Booncha57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The bracket that holds the shackle is riveted to the frame and the axle is under the springs so I guess it's the stock setup. I have a picture of what I'm talking about but I don't know how to post it! I think I posted one like a year ago but I can't remember how I did it. So do I have to take out the shackle-to-frame bolt to get the spring off or should I not have to touch that. If I could get that one out and drop it down to remove the shackle to spring bolt, that would work.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
id want to see a picture of it,

email it to me

mystik@starraiser.com

ill post it up for u

doesnt even sound like the backs been lowered......

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
:icon_confused: It does sound like the back hasn't been lowered. Do you still have a full leaf pack in there?

ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Modified
Transmission
Manual
It could also be drop leaves in the back. That's how I did mine and no one would know just by looking underneath that didn't know Rangers well.

How much lower is it? You could just get blocks to raise it back up. They would go in between the axle and spring pack and puch the axle further away from the springs.

James

Booncha57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The back is definitely lower than the front after I put the stock springs in the front. The kid I got the truck from said he lowered the front and back and he gave me the original springs for both. I just emailed you the pics mhughes, thanks for the help.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have them, im uploading them to my photobucket as i speak, all i can say.....is holy cut leafsprings batman.....

considering how he lowered the back, imma ASSUME he just cut the springs up front, truck prolly rode like total ass, id give the truck a complete once over, and look for OTHER ricer type mods, as on most vehicles then can be very dangerous

Last edited:

ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Modified
Transmission
Manual
I wonder if the previous owner removed the middle leaf on the stock spring pack. I've been there and done that. It actually rode very well, but it created the problem the rear kept sagging more and more. My replacement spring pack only has two leaves but they are thicker that stock and that's how they were designed to work.

James

Booncha57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So should I just removed the shackle and go from there? I thought they were aftermarket springs of some sort because they are (were, until rust) a slime green color. I'll show you pics of the coils too. They are def. shorter but don't really look cut.

Booncha57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
now I'm really having a hard time with one of the front bolts. Man! I figured I could at least loosen everything up while I waited for replies and now I've gotthe nut chewed up. Without moving the gas tank I can't hammer on a socket so I'm about to go buy some of those stripped bolt sockets whatever they're called and hope that they work.

ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Modified
Transmission
Manual
Can you just cut the bolt off? Take a sawsall to it, get a new bolt/nut/washer and call it good.

Do you have a stock height leaf pack ready to go in?

James

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I kindof figured they stripped the leaf pack down, when I got one of my Datsuns, the PO had taken everything but the main leaf out, and added 3 inch blocks. Talk about spring wrap! ;missingteeth;

Booncha57

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
As far as I know they are the stock height. Who knows though. How much danger is involved in torching that nut next to the gas tank? Also, what is the closest metric equivalent to a 13/16" socket?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals