• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

got new speakers...cant put them in??

funkingonutz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Manual
alright, ive just bought some Pioneer 6x8's with 240watt peak power and i want to put them in...but......my friend who is a home electrition,sais i could'nt without purchacing an 200 watt amp, i asked why and he said that if i put them in i will blow them because there is not enough power going to them. :icon_confused:

that does'nt sound right, if TO MUCH power goes to them then they would blow DUH??!!

o yeah and he said they will blow because of my head unit, i dont know why.
My head unit is an older Pioneer 50wx4...so 200w head unit.

flyingbrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What is the RMS of the speakers? You should be able to run them off deck power but they just won’t have the sound level that they are capable off.

igiveup

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello

At 50 watts a channel it will cook the speaker. Distortion is cause by being under power also.

igiveup

colinrmitchell

Feels good, man.
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
flyingbrick is right. They will work fine, should sound great. Wire them in.

And eventually, get a 200W amp! :c-n:

Gum-B

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
If under powered speakers were a real issue i would not have a job. I would advise anyone to ask an installer of mobile electronics before some one who wire homes. I can do anything as far as wiring in a car, in a home im lost. The speakers will play fine. An amp will help. It will allow you to drive them with more power and generally speaking cleaner power. And yes distortion is bad, but you can distort speakers with lots of power.

gotmudd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
390C.I
Transmission
Automatic
Hello

At 50 watts a channel it will cook the speaker. Distortion is cause by being under power also.

igiveup
you my friend have smoked to much crack in your life :nopityA:

Mavrick70004

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Too bad he doesn't sell and install car electronics instead he could be a good scam artist and get people to buy an amp every time they buy a stereo or speakers haha. can speakers be underpowered? yes, can this destroy a speaker? eventually it can but this is only true because most of the time if a speaker is underpowered we crank up the volume to be able to hear it, and when cranked too high, the head unit starts producing distortion which in turn starts destroying the speakers. As far as the head unit, you could power them with the stock radio and they will still sound better. Back in the good ol days haha stereos used to be like only 1 watt so im not sure what he is talking about with your head unit blowing up your speakers.

Throw the damn things in and let us know how they sound!

igiveup

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello

No crack this this guy. But I have cooked speakers being underpowered amps. Distortion will kill them. Since I have install amps I have not killed any. But who knows the last speaker I killed was years ago.

igiveup

Pistons23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
those speakers will work fine powered by your headunits internal amplifier. your headunits amplifier is rated at 50x4 but only really puts out 15-20watts. but underpowering speakers will not hurt them one bit. the only reason people think that is because they try to make their speakers "louder" so they boost the shit out of the signal. they turn the eq to the most powerful setting and turn the loud function to high.

igiveup

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
those speakers will work fine powered by your headunits internal amplifier. your headunits amplifier is rated at 50x4 but only really puts out 15-20watts. but underpowering speakers will not hurt them one bit. the only reason people think that is because they try to make their speakers "louder" so they boost the shit out of the signal. they turn the eq to the most powerful setting and turn the loud function to high.
Ok ill go with that.

igiveup

funkingonutz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Manual
ok wow....lots of info guys....but lots of different opinions..im going to put them in, i dont listen to my music extremely loud:temper: but it sometimes depends on my mood and what song is playing.
i usually have the volume at 8 or 10...,12 to 14 if im pissed or REALLY like the song.
the loud setting is all the way up and the EQ is at L-1 M+2 and H+3

so now do you think i will blow them without running a 200w amp??

BTW its a Pioneer head unit 50X4
anyone with the same one hit me up and tell me what you run your settings at.its the green one not the pink one.:yahoo:

drakezilla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
just put in 2-5x7 200w 3-way in the doors with new head unit 50x4...sound friggin awesome!! do it!!

absolutesantaja

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I work in professional audio doing sound and lighting for theatrical productions. I've never heard anyone say that you can mess up a speaker but underpowering it.... Everything we run is underpower because we don't want some idiot to be able to turn up the volume loud enough to blow the speakers we install. On the other hand if you run the amp loud enough for it to start clipping aka. distorting then you can end up putting a lot more power out than the amp would normally and it can destroy speakers and amps if they get hot enough. You should be fine with those speakers just don't turn them up so loud they start crackling.

Shawn

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals