• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Key wont work

JFA_Spyderman

Law Enforcement
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Yo,
The other day, i went to start my truck, and my ignition key wouldnt turn. I pull the key out, turn it over, and it takes more effort than usual, but it turns and starts. My spare set of keys i keep at home dont work at all.

I am getting the feeling either my key or the ignition is wearing out. The steering column is one of the places i have never dived into. Any ideas? Thanks!

<-----specs

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
I would first try some graphite powder, or just rub a pencil lead on you key, see if that helps, if it doesn't, the ignition switch is not hard to change, they sell replacements at Schucks and Autozone for about $30 IIRC, Just take the cover off, and you will see a small hole in the lower side of the ignition, insert the key, turn it to the on position, insert a tiny screwdriver or punch into the hole, and the switch will slide right out. The new switch should have instructions on how to install, but it's basically the same as removal, take the switch out of the box, and it should be all set up with the key already in and turned. Slide the switch in, turn the key off, and the new switch is installed.

JFA_Spyderman

Law Enforcement
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Yo,
Ok nice, i diddnt know it was that simple. Ill give it a try. Thanks!

Brandon12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/4.0
Transmission
Manual
I would first try some graphite powder, or just rub a pencil lead on you key, see if that helps, if it doesn't, the ignition switch is not hard to change, they sell replacements at Schucks and Autozone for about $30 IIRC, Just take the cover off, and you will see a small hole in the lower side of the ignition, insert the key, turn it to the on position, insert a tiny screwdriver or punch into the hole, and the switch will slide right out. The new switch should have instructions on how to install, but it's basically the same as removal, take the switch out of the box, and it should be all set up with the key already in and turned. Slide the switch in, turn the key off, and the new switch is installed.
I tried that but messed up. Now i have to start my truck with a screwdriver everyday.

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
I tried that but messed up. Now i have to start my truck with a screwdriver everyday.
:icon_confused: It's really not that hard, did you try prying it out or something?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals