• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Synthetic Oil?

contractkiller87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have 83000 miles on my 2.3l. I have heard that synthetic oil gives a little power. Can anyone recommend switching to something like Castrol Syntec at this high of mileage?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
synthetic oils tend to find leaky gaskets easier then conventional oils...otherwise it wont hurt your motor.

i also doubt JUST switching to synthetic will give you a noticeable gain in power (at least not noticeable for the 'ol butt dyno)

contractkiller87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ya ive heard that they can sometimes cause leaks. I think ill just stick to the old tried and true conventionals

seattleAIC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
synthetics will definetly not imrove engine perfomance. it will reduce friction though,which is worth the extra $5. heck i cant even tell the difference between 89 and 93 octane in my 2.5L

michowski

Reaction score
If you dont burn/leak oil then I would run it. No matter what the weather is the viscosity doesnt change. It holds its form far superior to regular oil. Everything about it is better then standard oil. It does improve power but its nothing noticable to anyone unless you can see dyno numbers.

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
heck i cant even tell the difference between 89 and 93 octane in my 2.5L

You shouldn't be able to. For most practical purposes, all more octane does is keep engine knock down, which you need when you are running high compression, which high performance engines do. Your 2.5 Lima doesn't exactly fall into the high performance class, and at that, it was designed to run on 87.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
synthetics will definetly not imrove engine perfomance. it will reduce friction though,which is worth the extra $5. heck i cant even tell the difference between 89 and 93 octane in my 2.5L
Moble 1 is about twice the price of Motorcraft Synthetic Blend at Wal-Mart. It is about $10 for a 5 quart jug of MC, about $20 for Moble 1.

dukemartini

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Moble 1 is about twice the price of Motorcraft Synthetic Blend at Wal-Mart. It is about $10 for a 5 quart jug of MC, about $20 for Moble 1.
is the mobil 1 a blend or is it 100% synthetic? if its not a blend that explains the big $ difference.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They call it a full synthetic but I have heard rumblings it isn't quite 100% anymore, I was just saying that it was more that it is twice as much money for something that might perform better. Dino has been working fine for me.:dunno: I am switching to MC due to it being the same price as what I get at Napa and is actually what my truck calls for.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals