• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

diesel ranger convertions?

viperfangs2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L v6
Transmission
Manual
diesel ranger

I want to convert my ranger to diesel or buy a diesel ranger.

I was wondering if i could reuse my 5 speed toyo koyo tranny and bolt it up to a diesel. Also what diesel motors can i drop in to a ranger? plus any other info would be awsome

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
you are looking at a lot of work. the trans you have will not be able to handle the torque of a diesel. you might look for a vw tdi or a cummins 4bt. but it appears the easiest swap would be a 6.2 chevy with a 700r4 or th400 and a newre ifs t case. also your d28 will explode under that much power.

XLTbeater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Wow, what a kawinkidink, I was just thinking of my original plans of getting a small pickup with a diesel. My uncle had a late eighties S-10 with a diesel and it got awesome gas mileage. I am thinking of some sort of vegetable oil conversion. My question is: were any of the Rangers from 86-92 offered with a diesel engine option? If not, then I guess I'll have to figure something out.

XLTbeater

HareRazor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have had the same thoughts lately. With gas prices soaring I have been looking for a diesel Ranger, but I have had no luck. I would like to start making biodiesel and running on that as I work at a restaurant and could get WVO from there. What kind of items would be needed for this kind of swap of turning a gas powered ranger into a diesel?

Zorro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Most diesels will happily run on bio-diesel. I'm not sure about the technologically advanced european diesels, but american ones should be fine.

This does raise a valid question. Why does everyone go for the ubiquitous 4BT Cummins?
Why not an older Mercedes unit?
What about the 4 cylinder found in Hino cube trucks?
Anyone ever imported a diesel unit from a south-american Ranger?

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
the reason is the cummins is a popular engine that a lot of the parts for a swap can come from a 6bt found in the dodge rams. and the name says alot also

COMP

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4cyl
Transmission
Automatic
lurking for info

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've been thinking about the same thing actually. I haven't thought too far in terms of practical application and actually making it happen but I was thinking about using either a Cat or Cummins engine...

Very cool that I'm not the only one thinking this way.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I bought my cummins last fall.....it's still sitting in the garage and not under the hood mind you, but I'm collecting parts as I can afford them. All my cummins-ford bellhousing parts (clutch housing/flywheel/starter etc) are arriving next week, then I'll begin searching for a good ZF tranny to back up the 500ftlbs I'll be tuning out of my engine. Oh, and 25+ mpg is nothing to laugh at either.

-andrew

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Hey yeah i've been looking for a deisel swap aswell and Izuzu makes a good diesel, the 4BT is a really loud engine that vibrates alot, toyota also hase a few deisels in their hilux, hilux surf and land cruiser models, they range from 2.4L turbo up to a 4.2L turbo. cummins also has a 6AT wich is better as an on road application it runs smoother and quieter. Most of these engines other than the toyota bolt up to chevy transmissions like the T350. i think the easiest swap would be a whole new drive train, run 1/2 ton axles front and back due to the 300ft/lbs of torque that the deisels put out. Or find a wrecked toyota and swap engine tranny and t-case into a ranger

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I had been thining of putting an Onan DJB/DJC in something as an attempt to make a super fuel efficent vehicle. I would choose an Onan because I am extremly familiar with this series. Challenges include finding a clutch, finding a trans, mounting, and dealing with timing advance.

I can get a DJC cheap right now, with a bad genset on it, but it needs a new inector pump...and I don't feel like shelling out the $1500+ for something that will just be something to tinker with. Clutch is easy enough, They had a hand clutch availiable for industrial use, and use some kind of belt drive to a trans. or I could try using a belt drive clutch, again, this would be for tinkering with and not to take any long trips with or to set any speed records.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I wouldn't spend a huge amount of effort on a waste cooking oil conversion. It's not diesel. I wouldn't put that through my injection pump. If you screw up your pump and injectors it will take a long time to get your money from that repair back. Making actual diesel fuel out of vegetable oil is a different thing. But I think Homeland Security will follow you home after you purchase the chemicals.

And with gas 80% the price of diesel. That goes a long way toward offsetting the worthhwile of a conversion. A 25mpg diesel costs the same to run as a 20mpg gasser.

This is the best diesel conversion.

My solution was a thousand-dollar 35mpg gas shitbox. I still have my trucks, but when I don't need a truck I can zoom around for cheap.

aaron47

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
there was a diesel swap in four wheel and off road,last month ,but it was swaped into a jeep

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
i think the best solution might be to buy a diesel toyota wether it b a land cruiser or a hilux

grnrngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nissan had a nice 6cyl inline diesel in the Maximas back in 82 or 83? The one I had ran great and would have gone forever but the body had serious issues. The 5 spd behind it was good, too, don't know if they ever offered it in a truck, or with 4x4 tho..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals