• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cutting the exhaust?

contractkiller87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys im new here, i have a 93' ranger with the 2.3l and a 2.5'' exhaust with a flowmaster 40 series delta flow. Will cutting it before the axle make it rumble more? I want it to rumble more than grunt which is how it sounds now.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys im new here, i have a 93' ranger with the 2.3l and a 2.5'' exhaust with a flowmaster 40 series delta flow. Will cutting it before the axle make it rumble more? I want it to rumble more than grunt which is how it sounds now.

Sure-fire way to get more growl is to add four more cylinders.

Actually, larger diameter pipe helps a little bit. My 3" stack made it sound deeper, but the resonance at certain engine speeds can be quite dreadful.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
it wont increase the decibel level par-say. it will move the source of the noise closer to you, the driver, as well as moving it under the cab, which can act like a giant resonance chamber at certain RPMs.

that said, exhaust gas contains some very corrosive chemicals, and you shouldnt just cut it off and leave it. on top of that, leaving it under the cab runs the risk of allowing carbon monoxide to enter the cab at low speeds. spend the $5 to get a 90-degree bent and make it exit out the side of the truck.

contractkiller87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well its already exiting the passenger side behind the tire. The whole point of this is to eliminate the vertical bend they put in it before the axle.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
A flowmaster 40 with no pipe after it (not even a turndown) will rumble like crazy. I ran mine for a bit like that, it would set off car alarms by gently backing out of parking spaces or cruising by a parked car, but the vibration was so intense I couldnt take it very much even though it was pretty cool. Keep in mind I have a 2.9 but they will rumble a lot on any engine if there is nothing after the muffler. After a while the rumble will probably drive you crazy...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it wont increase the decibel level par-say. it will move the source of the noise closer to you, the driver, as well as moving it under the cab, which can act like a giant resonance chamber at certain RPMs.

that said, exhaust gas contains some very corrosive chemicals, and you shouldnt just cut it off and leave it. on top of that, leaving it under the cab runs the risk of allowing carbon monoxide to enter the cab at low speeds. spend the $5 to get a 90-degree bent and make it exit out the side of the truck.
The bends to get it out behind the tire act as a muffler in themselves, I lost everything after my muffler one time mudding and it was ungodly loud, it was exiting about under the pass. seat. I stuck a straight peice of pipe on it when I got it home to at least get it out from under the cab and it was some quieter, but not nearly as quiet as it was before. The sound resonates under the truck without a exit from under the body, especially without a turndown. I have since rerigged the section of pipe that fell out and it is much better.

Exiting under the bed you shouldn't get any exhaust fumes in the cab, when it exits under the cab (or passenger compartment) is when you get problems. One thing to keep in mind however is the exhaust gases are not particularly great for bottom of you truck either.

contractkiller87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the help guys. I think ill cut it where the muffler is (which is already really close to the rear axle) and have a turndown welded in place.

rangerpimpn84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
i have a 2.3L in my 95 ford ranger and just installed a glass pack on it.at first i left the tail pipe on it and wasnt pleased so i took the tail pipe of and got the low rumble i was lookn for. so there u go i would cut it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals